Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > MSGBOX Example

MSGBOX Example

Chuck Traywick

I am trying to get a message box to work in a web form.

The code looks right

But when I browse the form I get

It is invalid to show a modal dialog or form when the
application is not running in UserInteractive mode.
Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly
style to display a notification from a service application

Is there something that explains how to do this.

I want the user to click a button on a web form and then
have a prompt to the user and then have the code perform
based upon the user response.

Thanks

Chuck

S. Justin Gengo

Chuck,

You have to do this with a javascript confirmation.

You attach the confirmation to the client side button. Then when the button
is clicked the confirmation box displays your message. The user can click
"OK" or "Cancel". If they click ok the form is submitted to the server where
you can run the code you want to execute in the button's event handler.

I have example code for how to do this in my web site's code library. Just
go to www.aboutfortunate.com. In the code library the title of the code you
need is titled: Attach a javascript confirmation to any VB.Net button

It's the third entry in the datagrid.

I hope this helps!

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer

Free code library at:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche
"Chuck Traywick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0c8201c355dc$a69bcba0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to get a message box to work in a web form.
>
> The code looks right
>
> But when I browse the form I get
>
> It is invalid to show a modal dialog or form when the
> application is not running in UserInteractive mode.
> Specify the ServiceNotification or DefaultDesktopOnly
> style to display a notification from a service application
>
> Is there something that explains how to do this.
>
> I want the user to click a button on a web form and then
> have a prompt to the user and then have the code perform
> based upon the user response.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chuck

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

That's only for windows forms. You don't want that since you're using
webforms.
You must use client side code for this since you want you message box to be
displayed on the client.
Execute a line of code like this when you want a message box to be
displayed.
(This writes out the necessary client side javascript to your HTML page to
make the alert pop up as soon as the page is sent to their browser.)

RegisterStartupScript("startupScript", "<script
language=JavaScript>alert('This is my message.');</script>");

Here's more info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...criptTopic.asp

--
I hope this helps,