Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Synchronize Windows Mail

Synchronize Windows Mail

Hi

I have a laptop and a desktop connected to a home network.
I have the same mail accounts on both computers.
Incoming mail is not a problem, both computers receive the same mail.
But I want my SENT mail to appear on both computers.
How can I synchronize so both sent and received mail are the same on both
computers?

Thanks

Gary VanderMolen

Syncing sent mail is not possible with a standard POP account.
It can be done with an IMAP account (Gmail, AOL) or a HTTP
account (Hotmail with WLM).

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a laptop and a desktop connected to a home network.
> I have the same mail accounts on both computers.
> Incoming mail is not a problem, both computers receive the same mail.
> But I want my SENT mail to appear on both computers.
> How can I synchronize so both sent and received mail are the same on both
> computers?
>
> Thanks

Oh I see...

That's a pity, I would think that this is a "problem" a lot of people have.

Thanks Gary

"Gary VanderMolen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Syncing sent mail is not possible with a standard POP account.
> It can be done with an IMAP account (Gmail, AOL) or a HTTP
> account (Hotmail with WLM).
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
>

> "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a laptop and a desktop connected to a home network.
>> I have the same mail accounts on both computers.
>> Incoming mail is not a problem, both computers receive the same mail.
>> But I want my SENT mail to appear on both computers.
>> How can I synchronize so both sent and received mail are the same on both
>> computers?
>>
>> Thanks

Sooner Al [MVP]

You might include your self in the cc: or bcc: field of a sent message. That
way you would get a copy on the other PC when you download email.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh I see...
>
> That's a pity, I would think that this is a "problem" a lot of people
> have.
>
> Thanks Gary
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Syncing sent mail is not possible with a standard POP account.
>> It can be done with an IMAP account (Gmail, AOL) or a HTTP
>> account (Hotmail with WLM).
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
>>

>> "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a laptop and a desktop connected to a home network.
>>> I have the same mail accounts on both computers.
>>> Incoming mail is not a problem, both computers receive the same mail.
>>> But I want my SENT mail to appear on both computers.
>>> How can I synchronize so both sent and received mail are the same on
>>> both computers?
>>>
>>> Thanks

smlunatick

On May 8, 10:41*am, "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Oh I see...
>
> That's a pity, I would think that this is a "problem" a lot of people have..
>
> Thanks Gary
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Syncing sent mail is not possible with a standard POP account.
> > It can be done with an IMAP account (Gmail, AOL) or a HTTP
> > account (Hotmail with WLM).

> > --
> > Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

> > "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi

> >> I have a laptop and a desktop connected to a home network.
> >> I have the same mail accounts on both computers.
> >> Incoming mail is not a problem, both computers receive the same mail.
> >> But I want my SENT mail to appear on both computers.
> >> How can I synchronize so both sent and received mail are the same on both
> >> computers?

> >> Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Yes this is a problem with the POP email protocol. This is a reason
why IMAP is gaining popularity since the emails messages are stored on
the server and not locally in the POP client.

Gary VanderMolen

Yes, it's a limitation of the POP protocol. That protocol is fairly
old, and it doesn't have all the features that the newer protocols have.
OTOH, that's also what makes it snappy.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

"R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh I see...
>
> That's a pity, I would think that this is a "problem" a lot of people
> have.
>
> Thanks Gary
>

> "Gary VanderMolen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Syncing sent mail is not possible with a standard POP account.
>> It can be done with an IMAP account (Gmail, AOL) or a HTTP
>> account (Hotmail with WLM).
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
>>

>> "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a laptop and a desktop connected to a home network.
>>> I have the same mail accounts on both computers.
>>> Incoming mail is not a problem, both computers receive the same mail.
>>> But I want my SENT mail to appear on both computers.
>>> How can I synchronize so both sent and received mail are the same on
>>> both computers?
>>>
>>> Thanks

smlunatick

On May 8, 6:01*pm, "Gary VanderMolen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yes, it's a limitation of the POP protocol. That protocol is fairly
> old, and it doesn't have all the features that the newer protocols have.
> OTOH, that's also what makes it snappy.
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP
>
> "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Oh I see...

> > That's a pity, I would think that this is a "problem" a lot of people
> > have.

> > Thanks Gary

> > "Gary VanderMolen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Syncing sent mail is not possible with a standard POP account.
> >> It can be done with an IMAP account (Gmail, AOL) or a HTTP
> >> account (Hotmail with WLM).

> >> --
> >> Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP

> >> "R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I seem to recall that some "places" are / were trying to "outlaw" POP
mail. This was to keep a "trace" of all emails sent / received.