Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to Create Drill Down on Web Page

How to Create Drill Down on Web Page

Mel

Can anyone provide any help on how I would create a drill down on a
web page? I want to create something like when you search for car
parts the user can navigate the drill downs and at the top of the page
is says something like this:

Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500

What is the database behind it? I want to use an Access Database to
store the data is that possible? How would the database be
structured?

(Using Asp.net 2.0, VB.net)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I want to create something like when you search for car
!> parts the user can navigate the drill downs

Here's a complete example you can adapt :
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/combobox/DrillDown.aspx

re:
!> at the top of the page is says something like this:
!> Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500

Are you thinking of breadcrumbs ?
Usually an "at the top of the page" display refers to directories, not to data.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone provide any help on how I would create a drill down on a
> web page? I want to create something like when you search for car
> parts the user can navigate the drill downs and at the top of the page
> is says something like this:
>
> Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500
>
> What is the database behind it? I want to use an Access Database to
> store the data is that possible? How would the database be
> structured?
>
> (Using Asp.net 2.0, VB.net)

Mel

On May 7, 6:08 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> re:
> !> I want to create something like when you search for car
> !> parts the user can navigate the drill downs
>
> Here's a complete example you can adapt :http://www.codeproject.com/KB/combobox/DrillDown.aspx
>
> re:
> !> at the top of the page is says something like this:
> !> Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500
>
> Are you thinking of breadcrumbs ?
> Usually an "at the top of the page" display refers to directories, not to data.
>
> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> ======================================
>
> "Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone provide any help on how I would create a drill down on a
> > web page? I want to create something like when you search for car
> > parts the user can navigate the drill downs and at the top of the page
> > is says something like this:

> > Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500

> > What is the database behind it? I want to use an Access Database to
> > store the data is that possible? How would the database be
> > structured?

> > (Using Asp.net 2.0, VB.net)

Unfortunately the code project example is in C#, which I am not very
familiar with at all, but that is exactly what I am looking for. I
converted the example project with Visual Studio 2005 and when I try
to run it an error message appears:

"A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started
directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project
to this solution which references the library project. Set the
executable project as the startup project."

This message makes no sense to me. What do I need to do here?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> when I try to run it an error message appears:

!> "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started
!> directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project
!> to this solution which references the library project. Set the
!> executable project as the startup project."

Egads! I didn't realize that example is for Windows Forms, not for Web Forms.

I'll try to hunt down a dependent listboxes web sample I wrote some time ago.

On May 8, 9:07 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> re:
> !> when I try to run it an error message appears:
>
> !> "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started
> !> directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project
> !> to this solution which references the library project. Set the
> !> executable project as the startup project."
>
> Egads! I didn't realize that example is for Windows Forms, not for Web Forms.
>
> I'll try to hunt down a dependent listboxes web sample I wrote some time ago.
>
> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> ======================================"Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> On May 7, 6:08 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > re:
> > !> I want to create something like when you search for car
> > !> parts the user can navigate the drill downs

> > Here's a complete example you can adapt :http://www.codeproject.com/KB/combobox/DrillDown.aspx

> > re:
> > !> at the top of the page is says something like this:
> > !> Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500

> > Are you thinking of breadcrumbs ?
> > Usually an "at the top of the page" display refers to directories, not to data.

> > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> > ======================================

> > "Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Can anyone provide any help on how I would create a drill down on a
> > > web page? I want to create something like when you search for car
> > > parts the user can navigate the drill downs and at the top of the page
> > > is says something like this:

> > > Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500

> > > What is the database behind it? I want to use an Access Database to
> > > store the data is that possible? How would the database be
> > > structured?

> > > (Using Asp.net 2.0, VB.net)

> Unfortunately the code project example is in C#, which I am not very
> familiar with at all, but that is exactly what I am looking for. I
> converted the example project with Visual Studio 2005 and when I try
> to run it an error message appears:
>
> "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started
> directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project
> to this solution which references the library project. Set the
> executable project as the startup project."
>
> This message makes no sense to me. What do I need to do here?

Can anyone assist in how to do a series of drill downs on a web page?

gerry

this was answered when you 1st posted this question : MSDN mag May/April :
ListView

Here I even went and looked it up for you :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/maga...500643.aspx#S2

On May 12, 3:50 pm, "gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> this was answered when you 1st posted this question : MSDN mag May/April :
> ListView
>
> Here I even went and looked it up for you :http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/maga...500643.aspx#S2
>
> "Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On May 8, 9:07 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > re:
> > !> when I try to run it an error message appears:

> > !> "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started
> > !> directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project
> > !> to this solution which references the library project. Set the
> > !> executable project as the startup project."

> > Egads! I didn't realize that example is for Windows Forms, not for Web
> > Forms.

> > I'll try to hunt down a dependent listboxes web sample I wrote some time
> > ago.

> > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> > ======================================"Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > in
> > messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > On May 7, 6:08 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > re:
> > > !> I want to create something like when you search for car
> > > !> parts the user can navigate the drill downs

> > > Here's a complete example you can adapt
> > > :http://www.codeproject.com/KB/combobox/DrillDown.aspx

> > > re:
> > > !> at the top of the page is says something like this:
> > > !> Chevy>>2002>>Avalanche>>1500

> > > Are you thinking of breadcrumbs ?
> > > Usually an "at the top of the page" display refers to directories, not
> > > to data.

> > > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> > > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> > > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> > > ======================================

> > > "Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > > messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Unfortunately the code project example is in C#, which I am not very
> > familiar with at all, but that is exactly what I am looking for. I
> > converted the example project with Visual Studio 2005 and when I try
> > to run it an error message appears:

> > "A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started
> > directly. In order to debug this project, add an executable project
> > to this solution which references the library project. Set the
> > executable project as the startup project."

> > This message makes no sense to me. What do I need to do here?

> Can anyone assist in how to do a series of drill downs on a web page?

Yes sir. Thank you sir. I'll check it out and see if I can get it to
apply to Asp.net 2.0 and VB.net.

gerry

sorry, I missed the 2.0 part - ListView is 3.5

if you google for "asp.net nested grid" you can find tons of 2.0- solutions
for doing the same thing.