Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Uploading a directory instead of a file

Uploading a directory instead of a file

K Viltersten

I'd like to allow a user to point out a directory. There's facility for
pointing to a file, FileUpload, but there's nothing to get the path to a
given folder. How can that be solved (Silverlight is not an option).

Konrad Viltersten

K Viltersten

> I'd like to allow a user to point out a directory. There's facility for
> pointing to a file, FileUpload, but there's nothing to get the path to a
> given folder. How can that be solved (Silverlight is not an option).
>
> Konrad Viltersten

In fact, as we're on the subject, when i get the information using
FileUploader.FileName
i only get the actual name and not the path. What i do need is the path,
acutally. The name itself is just an extra info. How can i get what i need?

--
Konrad Viltersten

K Viltersten

Den 2008-05-07 09:23:40 skrev K Viltersten <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>> I'd like to allow a user to point out a directory. There's facility for
>> pointing to a file, FileUpload, but there's nothing to get the path to
>> a given folder. How can that be solved (Silverlight is not an option).
>>
>> Konrad Viltersten

> In fact, as we're on the subject, when i get the information using
> FileUploader.FileName
> i only get the actual name and not the path. What i do need is the path,
> acutally. The name itself is just an extra info. How can i get what i
> need?

As i read my post i realize that someone will soon give me the (indeed
correct) information to use PostedFile.FileName. Is this the correct way
of obtaining the full path? Since no file has been uploaded on my system
(only a path has been obtained), i feel a future issues arise. Is it a
recommended way?

P.S.
Sorry for the scattered posting. Too much/little coffee, i say.

Konrad Viltersten

Mark Fitzpatrick

Unfortunately, the path isn't going to do you any good at all. All you can
get is a file, not a directory. The upload control can only upload a single
file at a time because that's what the RFC for handling file upload on the
web specify. You can't access the filepath that exists on the user's machine
so that won't help since all you have access to is the file they select, and
some information about it.

To get around this would take an aweful lot of work as you would have to do
something drastic such as resort to WPF, a winform embedded in the browser,
or a custom browser add-in. None of these are really good solutions though
as they would be difficult and expensive to implement, not to mention would
probably annoy users if they had to do things such as download the .net
framework to run a winform.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

"K Viltersten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Den 2008-05-07 09:23:40 skrev K Viltersten <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>> I'd like to allow a user to point out a directory. There's facility for
>>> pointing to a file, FileUpload, but there's nothing to get the path to
>>> a given folder. How can that be solved (Silverlight is not an option).
>>>
>>> Konrad Viltersten

>> In fact, as we're on the subject, when i get the information using
>> FileUploader.FileName
>> i only get the actual name and not the path. What i do need is the path,
>> acutally. The name itself is just an extra info. How can i get what i
>> need?

> As i read my post i realize that someone will soon give me the (indeed
> correct) information to use PostedFile.FileName. Is this the correct way
> of obtaining the full path? Since no file has been uploaded on my system
> (only a path has been obtained), i feel a future issues arise. Is it a
> recommended way?
>
> P.S.
> Sorry for the scattered posting. Too much/little coffee, i say.
>
> Konrad Viltersten

K Viltersten

> Unfortunately, the path isn't going to do you any good at all. All you
> can get is a file, not a directory. The upload control can only upload a
> single file at a time because that's what the RFC for handling file
> upload on the web specify. You can't access the filepath that exists on
> the user's machine so that won't help since all you have access to is
> the file they select, and some information about it.
>
> To get around this would take an aweful lot of work as you would have to
> do something drastic such as resort to WPF, a winform embedded in the
> browser, or a custom browser add-in. None of these are really good
> solutions though as they would be difficult and expensive to implement,
> not to mention would probably annoy users if they had to do things such
> as download the .net framework to run a winform.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark Fitzpatrick
> Microsoft MVP - Expression

It didn't help but at least i know where i'm standing, hehe.

Thanks!

Konrad Viltersten

K Viltersten

>> I'd like to allow a user to point out a directory. There's facility for
>> pointing to a file, FileUpload, but there's nothing to get the path to
>> a given folder.

> You can't do this natively.

Bad news. Thanks anyway!

>> How can that be solved

> Very simply: http://www.utechsoft.com/products/uupload/
>
>> (Silverlight is not an option).

> Why not...?

Project specification. The solution must not require any additional
installations and this far, sadly, if i may say so, Silverlight is not as
spread as to be regarded a standard. Even sadlier, i can not use the
UTechSoft solution either, as the requirement is to code the project using
MS products solely. Nevertheless, good info. Thanks!

Konrad Viltersten

Shane43

On May 7, 2:45*am, "Mark Rae [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "K Viltersten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > as the requirement is to code the project using MS products solely

> That is really short-sighted, IMO...
>
> Whenever I've been faced with a similar situation in the past, my usual
> response is "No problem - it will probably take me several months to develop
> what you want, at my standard daily rate. Alternatively, you can have it
> this afternoon for a few hundred dollars..."
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVPhttp://www.markrae.net

I strongly agree with Mark on this one. Perhaps you should go back to
your customer and figure out what they really want, not what they
THINK they want...big difference...I've seen customers that
mandate .NET, or SOA, when all they really needed was a simple
javascript solution - they just thought they wanted the latest and
greatest buzzwords.

Good luck!
Shane