Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: external hard drive

Re: external hard drive

Colon Terminus

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell xps gen 5 desk top. Several years old.(3)? . I bought a
>Seagate external hard drive 160gb 2mb cache usb. I bought norton ghost to
>do a system back up. I did this about 1.5 years ago. Today when turned on
>my system shows it in the "safe to disconnect" icon on the task bar. the
>computer does not recognize it as the "F" drive or anything else. I thought
>it might be defective so I plugged it into my sons computer. (he did). It
>was recognized and all files present. I took his Seagate ( same model) and
>connected it to my desk top. All was recognized just fine. I must be
>missing something. What , besides my head , is messed up?
> Jeff

Is it possible that something else has laid claim to drive letter F?
Is the external drive visible in Disk Management?
If it is visible in Disk Management, can you assign it a drive letter other
than F?