Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -2147023888)

An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -2147023888)

Marco Gerlach

Hello,

on one of our customers servers we get following error on first ASPX-page:

An error occurred while try to load the string resources (GetModuleHandle
failed with error -214702388

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: An error occurred while try to
load the string resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -214702388.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): An error occurred while try to load the string
resources (GetModuleHandle failed with error -214702388.]
System.Web.StringResourceManager.ReadSafeStringRes ource(Type t) +373
System.Web.UI.TemplateControl.ReadStringResource(T ype t) +5
_ASP.ipinfo_aspx..ctor() +31

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.]
System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly) +0
System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic) +66
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledIns tance(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +164

[HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to create page of type
'_ASP.ipinfo_aspx'.]
System.Web.UI.TemplateControlParser.GetCompiledIns tance(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +337
System.Web.UI.PageParser.GetCompiledPageInstanceIn ternal(String
virtualPath, String inputFile, HttpContext context) +43
System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpCo ntext context, String
requestType, String url, String path) +44
System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpCont ext context, String
requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +698

System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.Http Application+IExecutionStep
..Execute() +95
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean&
completedSynchronously) +173

Any ideas, what went wrong on this machine ?

Thanks,

Marco Gerlach

Carb

Hi Marco,

I've seen this very error and stack trace before. It happened shortly
after applying Windows 2000 SP4.

You will need to grant the "Impersonate a Client AfterAuthentication"
user right to the appropriate account on your machine. For member
servers, the account is ASPNET. For domain controllers, the account
is IWAM_<machine name>.

Below are some steps you can take to accomplish this:
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools,
and then click Local Security Policy.
2. Expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignment.
3. In the right pane, double-click Impersonate a client after
authentication.
4. In the Local Security Policy Setting dialog box, click Add.
5. In the Select Users or Group dialog box, click the user account
that you want to add, click Add, and then click OK.
6. Click OK.

You should also reboot the entire computer after doing these steps.
This information is also discussed in greater detail in the following
KB article:

821546 Overview of the "Impersonate a Client After Authentication"
and the
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821546

315158 FIX: ASP.NET Does Not Work with the Default ASPNET Account on
a Domain
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315158

Hope that helps!

Carb Simien, MCSE MCDBA MCAD