Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Releasing ip

Releasing ip

=?Utf-8?B?ZHdpZ2h0?=

I have a client that installed a wireless network at home this weekend. He
used his work laptop at home with now problems.

When he came back to work and rebooted his laptop, his machine found the
wireless network but did not get a new ip with correct dns information.

I noticed that his home router ip was the same as work. Could this be part
of the problem?

To resolve the problem, I did an ipconfig /renew. I also had to disable the
MS firewall in order for his laptop to see the server.

Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=

Main 'blocker' was the firewall.

Not a good practice to firewall inside a LAN. Stops everything from
gettining in and out of the PC to the server etc.

"dwight" wrote:

> I have a client that installed a wireless network at home this weekend. He
> used his work laptop at home with now problems.
>
> When he came back to work and rebooted his laptop, his machine found the
> wireless network but did not get a new ip with correct dns information.
>
> I noticed that his home router ip was the same as work. Could this be part
> of the problem?
>
> To resolve the problem, I did an ipconfig /renew. I also had to disable the
> MS firewall in order for his laptop to see the server.
>
> Thanks

Chris Catt

Hi, in my experience the built in XPSP2 firewall doesn't......
ChrisC
news:(E-Mail Removed)...