Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Attenna question

Attenna question

Neal

I have a Netgear Mr814V2 router that has very limited distance capabilities. I
can usually only use it from 30 feet away. Would one of the Hawkins attennas
improve the range and will it attach to the Netgear router? I don't see a way
to remove the routers attenna. The Hawkins attenna has TNC and SMA connections.

Neal

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
If it can not be removed there is nothing too much you can do about it.
A better Omni Antenna usually does not improve much indoor Wireless.
A directional Antenna does better, but would restrict the signal to one
direction.
However it is all depending on the specific environment.
May be this can Help.
Wireless Router as an AP: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Wireless Bridging: http://www.ezlan.net/bridging1.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QNZ%d.6502$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Netgear Mr814V2 router that has very limited distance

capabilities. I
> can usually only use it from 30 feet away. Would one of the Hawkins

attennas
> improve the range and will it attach to the Netgear router? I don't see a

way
> to remove the routers attenna. The Hawkins attenna has TNC and SMA

connections.

> Neal

Oliver Saal [MS]

The documentation accompanying most antennaes indicate with which routers
they are compatible or have been tested. I'm certain that I read that some
Netgear routers do not have a removable antenna and therefore an external
Hawking antenna cannot be used on it. Pity about that

With that said, I have an older MR814 (v1) which has 6dB removable antenna.
It's range and signal strength matches my omni-directional Hawking antenna.
In this case, I'm very happy with this V1 router since it is rock solid and
super cheap if you can still find them. I'm not expert on the MR814v2 but
I'd venture to guess there is very little feature difference between the two
routers except the size.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights