Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel

FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel

GaryDean

Is there any way to make an asp FileUpload control work within an
UpdatePanel?
Thanks,
Garyh

bruce barker

no. the update panel uses xmlhttprequest to post the form data which can
not access a file. you can use javascript and hidden iframes to upload a
file.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

GaryDean wrote:
> Is there any way to make an asp FileUpload control work within an
> UpdatePanel?
> Thanks,
> Garyh

marss

On 4 ๔าม, 22:58, "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any way to make an asp FileUpload control work within an
> UpdatePanel?
> Thanks,
> Garyh

Look here
http://marss.co.ua/FileUploadAndUpdatePanel.aspx

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

You can have a look at the blog article from marss. Here are some other
articles I've found mentioned some approaches create ajax stile uploading:

#Simple AJAX File Upload
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/ajax/s...jaxupload.aspx

#Create An Ajax Style File Upload
http://geekswithblogs.net/rashid/arc...Ajax-Style-Fil
e-Upload.aspx

However, I still think directly put fileupload into updatepanel maybe
problem prone since it is not designed to hold fileupload task(multi-part
form data). Is there any particular requirement that you have to make file
upload via ajax style?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel
>Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:58:12 -0700
>
>Is there any way to make an asp FileUpload control work within an
>UpdatePanel?
>Thanks,
>Garyh

bruce barker

you can upload file data via xmlhttprequest (its just base64 encode, easy
enough to do with javascript), you just can not read the file with javascript
to get the data.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> You can have a look at the blog article from marss. Here are some other
> articles I've found mentioned some approaches create ajax stile uploading:
>
> #Simple AJAX File Upload
> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/ajax/s...jaxupload.aspx
>
> #Create An Ajax Style File Upload
> http://geekswithblogs.net/rashid/arc...Ajax-Style-Fil
> e-Upload.aspx
>
> However, I still think directly put fileupload into updatepanel maybe
> problem prone since it is not designed to hold fileupload task(multi-part
> form data). Is there any particular requirement that you have to make file
> upload via ajax style?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> ications.

> --------------------
> >From: "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel
> >Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:58:12 -0700
> >
> >Is there any way to make an asp FileUpload control work within an
> >UpdatePanel?
> >Thanks,
> >Garyh

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your input Bruce,

Yes, client-side script cannot directly access local file system and read
data. In web page, it will require the user to interactively select and use
html file input to upload file.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

ications.

--------------------

>From: =?Utf-8?B?YnJ1Y2UgYmFya2Vy?= <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: RE: FileUpload Control within UpdatePanel
>Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 09:21:01 -0700

>you can upload file data via xmlhttprequest (its just base64 encode, easy
>enough to do with javascript), you just can not read the file with

javascript
>to get the data.
>
>-- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> You can have a look at the blog article from marss. Here are some other
>> articles I've found mentioned some approaches create ajax stile

uploading:

>> #Simple AJAX File Upload
>> http://www.codeproject.com/KB/ajax/s...jaxupload.aspx
>>
>> #Create An Ajax Style File Upload

http://geekswithblogs.net/rashid/arc...Ajax-Style-Fil
>> e-Upload.aspx
>>
>> However, I still think directly put fileupload into updatepanel maybe
>> problem prone since it is not designed to hold fileupload

task(multi-part
>> form data). Is there any particular requirement that you have to make

file
>> upload via ajax style?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

and

Please
>> provided. You c

Anil Abraham

On May 5, 12:58*am, "GaryDean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any way to make an aspFileUploadcontrolwork within anUpdatePanel?
> Thanks,
> Garyh

yes make use of trigerrs as follows

<Triggers>
<aspostBackTrigger ControlID="btnUpload" />
</Triggers>