Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G9 and Batteries

Canon G9 and Batteries

Archibald

On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:37 GMT, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>canon.user wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
>> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
>>
>>> I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
>>> proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
>>> without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
>>> mAH as the original (760).
>>> Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
>>> Thanks

>> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
>> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
>> of the genuine Canon.
>>

>Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and don't
>suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth bothering
>with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single charge.
>Dave Cohen

If the G9 is like the G7, when the low battery warning comes on, you
have only a few shots left (less than 10), so you can get caught if
you are doing a lot of shooting and run out of juice without a spare.

It's a lot different with the Rebel XTi (many many shots left), which
uses the same battery as the G7. So must be designed that way by Canon
to encourage you to buy spare batteries... generic of course.

Archibald

canon.user

On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:54:56 +0100 'newshound'
wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

>"canon.user" <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>news:6c74dc4a915cdab01e7a77843e4fc7eb@localghost. 127.0.0.1...
>>
>> On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:20:05 -0400 'John'
>> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
>>
>>>I recently purchased a G9. It comes with one NB-2LH battery. They are
>>>proprietery, and my question is: can I use another less expensive brand
>>>without damage to the camera. Assuming, of course, that they are the same
>>>mAH as the original (760).
>>>Anyone have any suggestions or comments?
>>>Thanks

>> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
>> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
>> of the genuine Canon.
>>

>I must have bought a dozen phone or camera batteries from eBay suppliers and
>I've not had a dud yet. I check the feedback

I get my spare batteries and other stuff from a UK place:
7dayshop.com. Amazing prices.

measekite

canon.user wrote:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008 21:54:56 +0100 'newshound'
> wrote this on rec.photo.digital:
>

>> "canon.user" <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
>> news:6c74dc4a915cdab01e7a77843e4fc7eb@localghost.1 27.0.0.1...

>>> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
>>> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
>>> of the genuine Canon.
>>>

>> I must have bought a dozen phone or camera batteries from eBay suppliers and
>> I've not had a dud yet. I check the feedback
>>

> I get my spare batteries and other stuff from a UK place:
> 7dayshop.com. Amazing prices.

Thats one of the features about the Canon S5 IS. I get my spare
batteries anyplace that sells a battery. But I just purchased 2 packs
of 4 AA 15 minute rechargeable for $10.00 a pack at Staples. I carry 2
sets with me. I rarely use the flash and LCS, using the viewfinder most
of the time as I should for sharper photos even with IS and get over 400
shots a charge.

On my last shoot I got 360 photos (maxed out a 2GB card and was still
going. I do not know what I had left in the battery since there is not
meter. There is a firmware 3rd party download I read about that saves
to the card (must be loaded each time camera is switched on but can also
be made semi permenant) but I do not know if there are any
consequences. It is a free download and the claim is it is non
destructive but I have not researched this to be a fact or not. One of
the new features is a battery meter like a fuel guage in a car. I do
not know if it is accurate either.

David J Taylor

canon.user wrote:
[]
> I get my spare batteries and other stuff from a UK place:
> 7dayshop.com. Amazing prices.

Yes, indeed!

Good prices, good service, and apparently good stuff from 7dayshop.
Li-ion batteries from them for various cameras have been fine, and had
indistinguishable performance from the much more expensive (and highly
profitable) manufacturers' own-brand.

Cheers,
David

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Archibald" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 03 May 2008 16:46:37 GMT, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>canon.user wrote:

>>> My S70 uses the same batt and I bought a non-Canon one several
>>> months ago as a spare; it works just fine - and cost me about 20%
>>> of the genuine Canon.
>>>

>>Since these things are said to deteriorate whether used or not and don't
>>suffer from memory problems (so you can top off), is it worth bothering
>>with a spare. You get quite a lot of shots from a single charge.
>>Dave Cohen

> If the G9 is like the G7, when the low battery warning comes on, you
> have only a few shots left (less than 10), so you can get caught if
> you are doing a lot of shooting and run out of juice without a spare.
>
> It's a lot different with the Rebel XTi (many many shots left), which
> uses the same battery as the G7. So must be designed that way by Canon
> to encourage you to buy spare batteries... generic of course.

My P&S nytech www.nytech.de came with 2 li ion packs, charger and 512 MB
card... I have it for a year, and have taken 530 photos. The batteries don't
have extremely long life, several months with my current usage.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering