Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Computer slowdown, busy diskdrive.

Re: Computer slowdown, busy diskdrive.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Frank wrote:

> My computer was slowing down so I purchased a new harddrive and
> reinstalled Windows XP with SP2 and it ran great for couple of
> months. Three months into the new installation my harddisk started to
> run like mad for the first few minutes of bootup and sometimes in the
> middle of something with no apparent application running. Now things
> are slow again, its pain to reinstall XP every three months to get it
> running well again.

You were lucky. It's usually about twenty minutes.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08..._in20_minutes/

Your computer is most likely a compromised zombie, now spewing spam to
millions.

> How do I trace what the disk is doing and stop whatever is running in
> the background to speed up my computer again?

Do you have a router on your Comcast connection, between the computer
and the cable modem? Does the computer have a firewall?

http://tekrider.net/general/wintip01.php

Try SuperAntiSpyware and see what it reports.
http://superantispyware.com/

--
-bts

Re: Computer slowdown, busy diskdrive. Snit Computer Support 0 05-02-2008 03:28 PM
Re: Computer slowdown, busy diskdrive. why? Computer Support 0 05-02-2008 02:35 PM
'Busy Signals' from other then the called number being busy Bob Alan VOIP 1 09-28-2005 06:21 PM
OT:Busy Busy Doom MCSE 36 07-08-2004 04:36 PM
Computer is very Busy userMrc9706 Computer Support 3 11-25-2003 01:44 AM

Advertisments