Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > PROBLEMS WITH NETWORKING - NEW TO NETWORKING

=?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=

Hope someone can help here.

I have two PCs both with XP Pro, both have a wireless connection and one has
a network ethernet card all connecting to a DSL Internet connection router.

I have managed to setup a home office with workgroup MSHOME for both PCs and
connected to the DSL for internet usage and working fine!

However, the problem is connecting between both machines, I just can not
seem to share folders. I have allowed share access, managed my Norton's
firewall to allow access between PCs but every time I try my "network places"
it sees the workgroup name but sends me an error after 20 seconds stating I
do not have permission.

I am new to networking and only learnign the security aspects of networking.
BUT I could really do with connecting both machines before worrying about
security!?!?!

Can someone help me and guide ime in the right direction in security issues
etc? Basically is it possible to set up one machione as a server, does all
the hard work and one that just links to it!? I also want to share my printer!

Appreciating anyone's response!

--
APOP

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"ABSPOPUP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hope someone can help here.
>
> I have two PCs both with XP Pro, both have a wireless connection and one

has
> a network ethernet card all connecting to a DSL Internet connection

router.

> I have managed to setup a home office with workgroup MSHOME for both PCs

and
> connected to the DSL for internet usage and working fine!
>
> However, the problem is connecting between both machines, I just can not
> seem to share folders. I have allowed share access, managed my Norton's
> firewall to allow access between PCs but every time I try my "network

places"
> it sees the workgroup name but sends me an error after 20 seconds stating

> do not have permission.
>
> I am new to networking and only learnign the security aspects of

networking.
> BUT I could really do with connecting both machines before worrying about
> security!?!?!
>
> Can someone help me and guide ime in the right direction in security

issues
> etc? Basically is it possible to set up one machione as a server, does all
> the hard work and one that just links to it!? I also want to share my

printer!

> Appreciating anyone's response!
>
> --
> APOP

=?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=

Thanks Jack, very useful site and will try setting my network from scratch
tonight at home. It seems to have everything I need to resolve this issue.
Again thanks.