Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Show progressbar while browser downloads file

Show progressbar while browser downloads file

sb5309@yahoo.com

I need to display a progressbar on a web page while a browser is
downloading a file.

Any tips ?

Thanks.

Lionel van den Berg

On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:24:20 -0700, sb5309 wrote:

> I need to display a progressbar on a web page while a browser is
> downloading a file.
>
> Any tips ?

JProgressBar.

Make sure that you do the download in a different thread using
SwingWorker.

Lionel.

Nigel Wade

> I need to display a progressbar on a web page while a browser is
> downloading a file.
>
> Any tips ?

Google. Given that you posted via Google Groups I'll assume that you know how to
use it. Look at the archives for the comp.lang.java newsgroups and you'll find
plenty of information on using progress bars.

Read the Java Tutorials, particularly:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutor.../progress.html

--
Nigel Wade

Arne Vajhøj

Lionel van den Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:24:20 -0700, sb5309 wrote:
>> I need to display a progressbar on a web page while a browser is
>> downloading a file.
>>
>> Any tips ?

> JProgressBar.
>
> Make sure that you do the download in a different thread using
> SwingWorker.

For browser---web page ??

Arne

Arne Vajhj

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I need to display a progressbar on a web page while a browser is
> downloading a file.
>
> Any tips ?

What you need is a download servlet that send the file to the browser
while updating a bytes send / file size ratio.

The download page then calls another servlet or JSP that displays
that progress either via an iframe with refresh or some JavaScript
(AJAX style).

Arne

Lionel van den Berg

On Fri, 02 May 2008 17:55:38 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> Lionel van den Berg wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:24:20 -0700, sb5309 wrote:
>>> I need to display a progressbar on a web page while a browser is
>>> downloading a file.
>>>
>>> Any tips ?

>> JProgressBar.
>>
>> Make sure that you do the download in a different thread using
>> SwingWorker.

> For browser---web page ??

No probably not. I should have read the message. I saw progressbar and my
mind didn't think about it much more. Would work with an applet though.