Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Losing Bookmarks at Random

Losing Bookmarks at Random

Puma

Just a quick question. Recently, I have found that FF is missing a bookmark
folder from time to time.

I went to open a main bookmark folder, I have related sub-folders under the
main title (Like "Health" is a main folder and local medical offices, info
on prescription drugs, other relevant subjects, etc. are underneath).

The whole bookmark and sub-folders was missing. I can't think of anything I
did or could have done that would have knocked it out or even moved it to
another bookmark main folder (which it did once).

I restored my bookmarks from a backup and all is well. But today it did it
again.

Any ideas what could cause this behavior? I'm gonna check for infestations
(I do a virus scan every day) or something but I was looking for
suggestions as to what might be a cause (besides my hitting a wrong key or
an infection).

Thanks for any info or ideas,

Robert

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Puma wrote:
> Just a quick question. Recently, I have found that FF is missing a bookmark
> folder from time to time.
>
> I went to open a main bookmark folder, I have related sub-folders under the
> main title (Like "Health" is a main folder and local medical offices, info
> on prescription drugs, other relevant subjects, etc. are underneath).
>
> The whole bookmark and sub-folders was missing. I can't think of anything I
> did or could have done that would have knocked it out or even moved it to
> another bookmark main folder (which it did once).
>
> I restored my bookmarks from a backup and all is well. But today it did it
> again.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this behavior? I'm gonna check for infestations
> (I do a virus scan every day) or something but I was looking for
> suggestions as to what might be a cause (besides my hitting a wrong key or
> an infection).
>
> Thanks for any info or ideas,
>
> Robert

make sure that the bookmarks.html file isn't marked as "read
only"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Puma

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:fvdhmh$82n$(E-Mail Removed):

> Puma wrote:
>> Just a quick question. Recently, I have found that FF is missing a
>> bookmark folder from time to time.
>>
>> I went to open a main bookmark folder, I have related sub-folders
>> under the main title (Like "Health" is a main folder and local
>> medical offices, info on prescription drugs, other relevant subjects,
>> etc. are underneath).
>>
>> The whole bookmark and sub-folders was missing. I can't think of
>> anything I did or could have done that would have knocked it out or
>> even moved it to another bookmark main folder (which it did once).
>>
>> I restored my bookmarks from a backup and all is well. But today it
>> did it again.
>>
>> Any ideas what could cause this behavior? I'm gonna check for
>> infestations (I do a virus scan every day) or something but I was
>> looking for suggestions as to what might be a cause (besides my
>> hitting a wrong key or an infection).
>>
>> Thanks for any info or ideas,
>>
>> Robert

> make sure that the bookmarks.html file isn't marked as "read
> only"

OK, I checked and the "bookmark.html" file and the "bookmarks" folder
were both marked "read only."

I changed all I could find by unchecking the box by "read only" and we'll
see if that improves the annoyance of bookmark files disappearing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Robert