Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Install Pro over Home?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Install Pro over Home?

 
 
The One True Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-01-2008
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(攸hw不f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

>No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
>to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...



Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.

--
"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

"The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lars
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2008
Previously, on Usenet Wolf 253 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
>> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
>> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
>>

>Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!


4MB? No, most computers at the time of 3.1 had only 1MB of ram. One.

Lars
Stockholm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The One True Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2008
On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:29:03 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
<(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

>On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:08:05 -0500
>The One True Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that (E-Mail Removed)
>> (攸hw不f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
>>
>> >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
>> >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...

>>
>>
>> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
>> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
>> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
>>

>Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!
>Theres lots of dos games for free floating around on the net.
>My faves;
>sledride
>urthwurm
>kens labyrinth
>bugs bunny
>avoid the noid
>hangman


286???

You are way off on that. My first PC (after Amiga and such) was an old
66 Compaq, running 3.1 with 4mb ram.

--
"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

"The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
 
Reply With Quote
 
The One True Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2008
On Fri, 02 May 2008 11:23:39 +0200, I found that Lars <(E-Mail Removed)>
Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

>Previously, on Usenet Wolf 253 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
>>> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
>>> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
>>>

>>Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!

>
>4MB? No, most computers at the time of 3.1 had only 1MB of ram. One.
>
>Lars
>Stockholm


That's back when a 4MB chip cost about $80

--
"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

"The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
 
Reply With Quote
 
The One True Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2008
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:28:44 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
<(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

>On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:55:37 -0500
>The One True Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:29:03 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
>>
>> >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:08:05 -0500
>> >The One True Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that (E-Mail Removed)
>> >> (攸hw不f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
>> >>
>> >> >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
>> >> >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
>> >> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
>> >> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
>> >>
>> >Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!
>> >Theres lots of dos games for free floating around on the net.
>> >My faves;
>> >sledride
>> >urthwurm
>> >kens labyrinth
>> >bugs bunny
>> >avoid the noid
>> >hangman

>>
>> 286???
>>
>> You are way off on that. My first PC (after Amiga and such) was an old
>> 66 Compaq, running 3.1 with 4mb ram.
>>

>Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...I ran 3.1 on a Magnavox 286 with 1024k of ram.
>fyi



Remember back when that was considered fast?
maybe about 13 years ago at a minimum.

--
"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

"The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
 
Reply With Quote
 
The One True Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-04-2008
On Sun, 4 May 2008 08:46:28 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
<(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

>On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:25:54 -0500
>The One True Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:28:44 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
>>
>> >On Fri, 02 May 2008 16:55:37 -0500
>> >The One True Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> >> On Thu, 1 May 2008 09:29:03 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
>> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
>> >>
>> >> >On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:08:05 -0500
>> >> >The One True Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >> >
>> >> >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:03:45 -0500, I found that (E-Mail Removed)
>> >> >> (攸hw不f) Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:
>> >> >>
>> >> >> >No...that wont do it. You really have to use the original 1998 laptop with 4GB hdd and 64MB of ram
>> >> >> >to get the real feel for the beauty of computing in yesteryear...
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Last week, for the hell of it, I took my old 333Mhz computer, with 128
>> >> >> Ram, and installed 3.1 on it. It plays a lot of the old DOS games
>> >> >> fairly well LOL, sometimes a bit too fast.
>> >> >>
>> >> >Considering the minimum system requirements for 3.1 were a 286 and 4MB ram I would think so!
>> >> >Theres lots of dos games for free floating around on the net.
>> >> >My faves;
>> >> >sledride
>> >> >urthwurm
>> >> >kens labyrinth
>> >> >bugs bunny
>> >> >avoid the noid
>> >> >hangman
>> >>
>> >> 286???
>> >>
>> >> You are way off on that. My first PC (after Amiga and such) was an old
>> >> 66 Compaq, running 3.1 with 4mb ram.
>> >>
>> >Uhhhhhhhhhhhh...I ran 3.1 on a Magnavox 286 with 1024k of ram.
>> >fyi

>>
>>
>> Remember back when that was considered fast?
>> maybe about 13 years ago at a minimum.
>>

>Only for people who didnt know about the Acorn...
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_Computers
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:E...MagazineAd.jpg
>RISC based computers blew away DOS based ones back then.
>In fact since they use less code to do more work they use less power and are therefore "greener" than non-RISC based units.
>Unfortunately the world favored cheaper (dos) over better (RISC).
>
>FYI


RISC was ok, but I miss CP/M

--
"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

"The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
 
Reply With Quote
 
The One True Roger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-05-2008
On Mon, 5 May 2008 08:23:04 -0700, I found that Wolf 253
<(E-Mail Removed)> Scribbled the following on the bathroom wall:

>> RISC was ok, but I miss CP/M
>>

>Which was what dos was stole...er based on.



The creator of CP/M was originally supposed to write DOS for PCs, but
for some odd reason, Gates got the deal (I think he under-bid). Yes,
Microsoft-DOS is basically a tighter form of CP/M.

The nice thing about my old Amiga, it ran a DOS called Amiga-DOS,
which was automatically a GUI like Windows.

I doubt many people even have any idea what we are talking about, and
Microsoft-DOS is not the first type of DOS ever created.


--
"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of
liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787

"The best propaganda omits rather than invents" - Mason Cooley
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VOIP over VPN over TCP over WAP over 3G Theo Markettos UK VOIP 2 02-14-2008 03:27 PM
Install WinXP Home Edition over top of XP Pro? GrandpaChuck Computer Support 11 08-17-2006 03:31 AM
WinXP Pro can I re-install over old to fix corrupted files Jerry Computer Support 4 05-30-2005 05:49 PM
Installing WinXP Pro over 98SE or Clean install Mark Patterson Computer Support 2 02-03-2004 04:50 PM



Advertisments