Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Motherboard Question

Motherboard Question

Jamie Gunn

Hi,

My motherboard's north bridge has cooked. It gets super-hot whenever I
try to boot up the computer and the computer itself will not boot up
anymore. I took it to a computer shop and they confirmed that the
board is toast. They also said that chances are the CPU and memory is
done as well. I asked them to test both to see whether or not they
were still good and they said not to even bother. The computer is only
2-3 years old and it has a P4 2.0 GHz processor with 2 Gigs DDR400
RAM. I've got an ASUS P4P800 SE motherboard currently and am looking
at buying another one on eBay. What are the chances that my CPU and
memory survived the heat coming off the north bridge? It's a fine
machine and only a couple years old, so I'm just looking for some
opinions from people who are more experienced than me with dealing
with this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.