Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Microsoft XP SP3 fixpack released.

Reply
Thread Tools

Microsoft XP SP3 fixpack released.

 
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2008
http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/...9042008_lat_l7

MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BTDTGTTS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2008
Roedy Green wrote:

>

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/...9042008_lat_l7
>
> MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
> I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
> install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
> patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.


Given Microsofts history with service packs, I think I'll pass on this
advice until other people have tried it in the wild.

Regards
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BTDTGTTS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2008
Lew wrote:

> BTDTGTTS wrote:
>> Roedy Green wrote:
>>
>>

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/...9042008_lat_l7
>>> MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
>>> I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
>>> install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
>>> patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.

>>
>> Given Microsofts history with service packs, I think I'll pass on this
>> advice until other people have tried it in the wild.

>
> And this is a Java matter because ...?
>


My excuse is that I wasn't in the group that I thought I was when I
hit "Send". Apologies
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2008
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:07:39 -0400, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>
>And this is a Java matter because ...?


Because most of the people here run their Java under Windows. You
want all patches on your OS to make Java run smoothly.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Williamson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2008
Roedy Green wrote:
> http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/...9042008_lat_l7
>
> MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
> I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
> install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
> patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.


Didn't happen, but that's Microsoft.

"MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2008
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:12:23 GMT, Christian Williamson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>"MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch"
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/


All it was supposed to be was a combined set up updates that have
already been released. You would think code problems would have
surfaced long ago.

It would make reinstalling faster since you would not need to apply
all those updates individually.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wojtek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-30-2008
Roedy Green wrote :
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:12:23 GMT, Christian Williamson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>
>> "MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch"
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/

>
> All it was supposed to be was a combined set up updates that have
> already been released. You would think code problems would have
> surfaced long ago.


I think they are trying to sneak in other stuff other than just a roll
up of patches.

> It would make reinstalling faster since you would not need to apply
> all those updates individually.


See http://www.autopatcher.com

--
Wojtek


 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-02-2008
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:07:39 -0400, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote,
> quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> And this is a Java matter because ...?

>
> Because most of the people here run their Java under Windows. You
> want all patches on your OS to make Java run smoothly.


Do you know about any specific change in SP3 that will help Java
programs ?

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To XP SP3 or not to XP SP3? ~misfit~ NZ Computing 13 05-10-2008 07:47 AM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola MCSE 4 11-15-2006 02:40 AM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd loyola Microsoft Certification 3 11-14-2006 05:18 PM
microsoft.public.certification, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcad, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsd realexxams@yahoo.com Microsoft Certification 0 05-10-2006 02:35 PM
microsoft.public.dotnet.faqs,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms,microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb Charles A. Lackman ASP .Net 1 12-08-2004 07:08 PM



Advertisments