Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Is it possible to call server side function from client side code in asp.net?

Is it possible to call server side function from client side code in asp.net?

Simon

I heard that we could do that by using AJAX. Could anybody share how to do
it? Thanks.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Simon,

For calling server-side function from page client(without postback),
ASP.NET 2.0 standard runtime has provided a feature called client script
callback. It require you to add some code to emit the script reference into
page's client. Here are some reference introducing this:

#Script Callbacks in ASP.NET 2.0
http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/3485991

#Implementing Client Callbacks Programmatically Without Postbacks in
ASP.NET Web Pages

Sure, ASP.NET ajax provide a more powerful framework that can help you call
server-side functions( static method in page or webservice) from client
script. If your application is ready to adopt AJAX framework, it's the
preferred choice. Here is a web video tutorial about calling server-side
functions from client:

#How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?
http://asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-79.aspx

you can find more information about ASP.NET ajax on the official site:

http://asp.net/ajax/

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Is it possible to call server side function from client side code

in asp.net?
>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:49:02 +0800

>I heard that we could do that by using AJAX. Could anybody share how to do
>it? Thanks.

Simon

Thanks, I will look into it. The information is good.

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> preferred choice. Here is a web video tutorial about calling server-side
> functions from client:
>
> #How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?
> http://asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-79.aspx
>
> you can find more information about ASP.NET ajax on the official site:
>
> http://asp.net/ajax/
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> ications.

> rights.
>

> --------------------
>>From: "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Subject: Is it possible to call server side function from client side code

> in asp.net?
>>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:49:02 +0800

>>I heard that we could do that by using AJAX. Could anybody share how to do

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Simon,

If you have any further questions on this, welcome to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<#(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Is it possible to call server side function from client side

code in asp.net?
>Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:21:51 +0800

>Thanks, I will look into it. The information is good.
>

>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:%(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> For calling server-side function from page client(without postback),
>> ASP.NET 2.0 standard runtime has provided a feature called client script
>> callback. It require you to add some code to emit the script reference
>> into
>> page's client. Here are some reference introducing this:
>>
>> #Script Callbacks in ASP.NET 2.0
>> http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/3485991
>>
>> #Implementing Client Callbacks Programmatically Without Postbacks in
>> ASP.NET Web Pages
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178208.aspx
>>
>> Sure, ASP.NET ajax provide a more powerful framework that can help you
>> call
>> server-side functions( static method in page or webservice) from client
>> script. If your application is ready to adopt AJAX framework, it's the
>> preferred choice. Here is a web video tutorial about calling server-side
>> functions from client:
>>
>> #How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?
>> http://asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-79.aspx
>>
>> you can find more information about ASP.NET ajax on the official site:
>>
>> http://asp.net/ajax/
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and

Please
>> (E-Mail Removed).

>> ications.

issues