Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Can Dreamweaver edit pre-existing web-sites?

Can Dreamweaver edit pre-existing web-sites?

patrick j

Hi

Very soon I'm going to be joining a group of people working together on a
project. My role will be to create the web-site.

I normally just write the HTML and CSS myself using a text editor, in my
case BBEdit.

I think that the rest of the group are going to ask me if the web-site I
create could be easily edited with Dreamweaver. The answer to this I don't
know. I've never used Dreamweaver so I don't know if it can go to
pre-existing web-sites and edit them.

Maybe there is something I might need to include in the HTML to assist
Dreamweaver?

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to give.

--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

Patricia Aldoraz

On Apr 29, 10:01 am, patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Very soon I'm going to be joining a group of people working together on a
> project. My role will be to create the web-site.
>
> I normally just write the HTML and CSS myself using a text editor, in my
> case BBEdit.
>
> I think that the rest of the group are going to ask me if the web-site I
> create could be easily edited with Dreamweaver. The answer to this I don't
> know. I've never used Dreamweaver so I don't know if it can go to
> pre-existing web-sites and edit them.
>
> Maybe there is something I might need to include in the HTML to assist
> Dreamweaver?

Just make a good website, there is nothing else to be done. If they
can edit anything with dw, they will be able to edit it.

Andy Dingley

On 29 Apr, 01:01, patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Maybe there is something I might need to include in the HTML to assist
> Dreamweaver?

Web site or meta-web site?

Is you mean "bucket of HTML", then DW will edit this happily enough.

If you mean "Well-designed site, with a well thought-out meta-
structure behind it, such that simple CSS can be applied simply to a
simple structure", then an inexperienced DW pilot will trash it in
short order, probably doing something horrible to it like converting
it to a mess of absolutely positioned <div>s and superfluous JS
rollovers. The experience necessary for the DW jockey to not do this
is roughly comparable to the experience necessary to start seeing DW
as a hindrance more than a help and to stop using it.

If I'm in this position, I either set up a wiki (or blog) instead, or
else I make my excuses and leave. Only thing worse than DW shoving
itself in here would be FrontPage doing it (which will actively trash
your code, whereas DW only does it on request).

patrick j

On Apr 29, 2008 Mark Jones wrote:

> Jim Moe wrote:

>> If you write pure HTML/CSS, no problem (except, as noted,
>> inexperienced DW users munging the code).
>> If you use any kind of server-side scripting, then no.

> Dreamweaver can do all of those quite well and it allows you
> to keep a code window open so you can do manual editing
> whenever you want to.

Hi

Can Dreamweaver edit a site that is pre-existing and using server-side
scripting?

In my case this would be PHP.

Thank you.

--
Patrick - Brighton, UK
If you wish email me from my web-site: <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

Travis Newbury

On Apr 28, 8:01 pm, patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I normally just write the HTML and CSS myself using a text editor, in my
> case BBEdit.
>...I've never used Dreamweaver so I don't know if it can go to
> pre-existing web-sites and edit them.

If you can do it in BBEdit, you can do it in Dreamweaver. It's just a
text editor.

Travis Newbury

On Apr 29, 1:48 pm, Jim Moe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you write pure HTML/CSS, no problem (except, as noted, inexperienced
> DW users munging the code).
> If you use any kind of server-side scripting, then no.

Maybe I missed something. Why would they not be able to use
dreamweaver if there is server scripting?

Travis Newbury

On Apr 29, 8:23 pm, "Mark Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Can Dreamweaver edit a site that is pre-existing and using server-side
> > scripting?
> > In my case this would be PHP.

> It does not have any method for directly handling PHP that
> I am aware of. It id able to work with Cold Fusi

Dreamweaver can do that. From Dreamwaever help:

"If you plan to develop dynamic pages, Dreamweaver needs the services
of a testing server to generate and display dynamic content while you
work. The testing server can be your local computer, a development
server, a staging server, or a production server."

Andy Dingley

On 29 Apr, 22:09, patrick j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can Dreamweaver edit a site that is pre-existing and using server-side
> scripting?

About as well as the same situation, without the server-side code.

Bergamot

Travis Newbury wrote:

> ...Dreamweaver. It's just a text editor.

Blasphemer!

--
Berg