Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Aaaaagh! What am I searching for?!!!!!

Aaaaagh! What am I searching for?!!!!!

mrcakey

In eBay and quite a lot of sites actually there is a function that does
this:

You enter your postcode/zip code and then you can return results within
5/10/20/200 miles of that address.

I'm going scatty trying to think what it might be called, let alone where I
might buy such a thing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

+mrcakey

Els

mrcakey wrote:

> You enter your postcode/zip code and then you can return results within
> 5/10/20/200 miles of that address.
>
> I'm going scatty trying to think what it might be called, let alone where I
> might buy such a thing.

One of the components of the cms I use calls it 'radius distance
search'.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Els

Els wrote:

> mrcakey wrote:
>
>> You enter your postcode/zip code and then you can return results within
>> 5/10/20/200 miles of that address.
>>
>> I'm going scatty trying to think what it might be called, let alone where I
>> might buy such a thing.

> One of the components of the cms I use calls it 'radius distance
> search'.

Another term: proximity search.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

mrcakey

"Els" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6kps0xsikrbp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> mrcakey wrote:
>
>> You enter your postcode/zip code and then you can return results within
>> 5/10/20/200 miles of that address.
>>
>> I'm going scatty trying to think what it might be called, let alone where
>> might buy such a thing.

> One of the components of the cms I use calls it 'radius distance
> search'.

Thanks. Radius search has got it. I just thought there might be a
generally accepted term for such things.

+mrcakey

mrcakey

"Sherman Pendley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "mrcakey" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> In eBay and quite a lot of sites actually there is a function that does
>> this:
>>
>> You enter your postcode/zip code and then you can return results within
>> 5/10/20/200 miles of that address.
>>
>> I'm going scatty trying to think what it might be called, let alone where
>> might buy such a thing.

> Geocoding. In a nutshell, there are publicly-available databases that map
> address data to lat/long coordinates.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geocoding>
>
> So you look up and store the coordinates for each address in your database
> as they're added, and you look up the coordinates for the query address
> when it comes in.
>
> Now, you *could* run a query to find the database records within a certain
> radius. You could, but that would mean finding the distance from every
> record
> to the query point. That's an awful lot of square roots!
>
> What I do instead is calculate a box: Four lat/long coordinates that
> describe
> a box that's X miles across, centered on the query point. That's a bit
> over-
> inclusive, as the corners are technically a little farther away than X
> miles
> from the center. But it's a much, much faster query, just checking to see
> if
> the lat/long of each record is within the range of the box.
>
> sherm--

That's a great idea. I'll speak to the client and see if he's happy with
that.

+mrcakey

Andy Dingley

On 29 Apr, 12:56, Sherman Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > You enter your postcode/zip code and then you can return results within
> > 5/10/20/200 miles of that address.

> Geocoding. In a nutshell, there are publicly-available databases that map
> address data to lat/long coordinates.

Geocoding is usually regarded as the opposite of what's needed here.
It's taking known things and describing their known location. What the
OP needs is taking some identifier (best is a geographical identifier,
such as postal code), then selecting other items owing to their own
location.

Round here that's normally called "geolocation", but "radius search"
finds it (along with a bunch of other stuff).