Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network setup! please help

Wireless network setup! please help

=?Utf-8?B?SmFyZWQ=?=

Hi. I'm trying to set up a wireless network over three
computers. All three of the computers are connected
through the internet, through my computer. I have a
Linksys wireless router, and both of the other desktops
have wireless adapters in them already, but not mine (I
am not sure if I need one or not for a network). I have
tried many things to get the computers connected for file
sharing (which is all I really want, besides an internet
connection). I have tried setting up a new connection, a
wireless connection, a network. None of these work, or
maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Could someone please help
me with my problem? Thanks! -Jared

WLW

Hi, Jared -

You might want to take a look at

http://www.ezine.com/TechTips/BuildingWireless.shtml

Hope this helps,
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Jared" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I'm trying to set up a wireless network over three
> computers. All three of the computers are connected
> through the internet, through my computer. I have a
> Linksys wireless router, and both of the other desktops
> have wireless adapters in them already, but not mine (I
> am not sure if I need one or not for a network). I have
> tried many things to get the computers connected for file
> sharing (which is all I really want, besides an internet
> connection). I have tried setting up a new connection, a
> wireless connection, a network. None of these work, or
> maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Could someone please help
> me with my problem? Thanks! -Jared

=?Utf-8?B?SmFyZWQ=?=

ok thanks, I'll give it a try

"WLW" wrote:

> Hi, Jared -
>
> You might want to take a look at
>
> http://www.ezine.com/TechTips/BuildingWireless.shtml
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "Jared" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi. I'm trying to set up a wireless network over three
> > computers. All three of the computers are connected
> > through the internet, through my computer. I have a
> > Linksys wireless router, and both of the other desktops
> > have wireless adapters in them already, but not mine (I
> > am not sure if I need one or not for a network). I have
> > tried many things to get the computers connected for file
> > sharing (which is all I really want, besides an internet
> > connection). I have tried setting up a new connection, a
> > wireless connection, a network. None of these work, or
> > maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Could someone please help
> > me with my problem? Thanks! -Jared

=?Utf-8?B?UkpC?=

I found that article incredibly confusing. For instance, it was written with
the ONE interface for the ONE router in mind...

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

Unfortunately there is a confusion that derive from the usage of words like
Sharing (for Internet Sharing and File Sharing), and security (to Internet
security and Wireless security.

The two types of Sharing and two type of security are not practically
related one to the other beside the fact that they both have to do with
Network computers.

If you can use the Internet from all the Networked computers it means that
you can share the Internet and that there is a connection between your
computers and the switch on the Router.

At this point if you want to share files between the Networked computers you
have to configure the Network's Sharing setting on each computer (this
process is the same for wired or and wireless connection, and has nothing to
do with Internet Sharing).

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"RJB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I found that article incredibly confusing. For instance, it was written

with
> the ONE interface for the ONE router in mind...

WLW

I'm sorry you found it confusing.

People often get confused with Wireless Networking, Wireless Ad-Hoc
Networks, Wireless Infrastructure-Mode Networks, Microsoft Windows Networks,
Workgroups, Domains, Microsoft Domain Names, Internet Domain Names... Too
many similar names for things that are different.

Don't worry, if it was easy we wouldn't need support groups.

Please see my response to your other posting.
I hope it helps,
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com