Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Newbie question - What's wrong with my switch?

Newbie question - What's wrong with my switch?

remolacha

Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE cable?
I have a soldering iron

When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I hope I
know means that the post test did not pass.

I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller (2)
is bad.

Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be
welcome.

Thanks.

output of switch follows...

File "flash:c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1/c3550-i5q3l2-mz.121-12c.EA1.bin"
uncompr
essed and installed, entry point: 0x3000
executing...

Restricted Rights Legend

Use, duplication, or disclosure by the Government is
subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph
(c) of the Commercial Computer Software - Restricted
Rights clause at FAR sec. 52.227-19 and subparagraph
(c) (1) (ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer
Software clause at DFARS sec. 252.227-7013.

cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive
San Jose, California 95134-1706

IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE
SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Compiled Mon 25-Nov-02 00:07 by antonino
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x0075FE48

Initializing flashfs...
flashfs[1]: 20 files, 3 directories
flashfs[1]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[1]: Total bytes: 15998976
flashfs[1]: Bytes used: 5582848
flashfs[1]: Bytes available: 10416128
flashfs[1]: flashfs fsck took 8 seconds.
flashfs[1]: Initialization complete.
....done Initializing flashfs.
POST: CPU Buffer Tests : Begin
POST: CPU Buffer Tests : End, Status Passed
POST: CPU Interface Tests : Begin
POST: CPU Interface Tests : End, Status Passed
POST: Switch Core Tests : Begin
POST: Switch Core Tests : End, Status Passed
POST: CPU Interface 2nd Stage Tests : Begin
POST: CPU Interface 2nd Stage Tests : End, Status Passed
POST: CAM Subsystem Tests : Begin
POST: CAM Subsystem Tests : End, Status Passed
POST: Ethernet Controller Tests : Begin
Ethernet Controller (2) RAM POST: RAM Failed to send write command (data
lines)
POST: Ethernet Controller Tests : End, Status Passed
INIT: failed satellites initializationcisco WS-C3550-24 (PowerPC)
processor (rev
ision H0) with 65526K/8192K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID CHK0704W0F1
Last reset from warm-reset
Bridging software.
Running Layer2/3 Switching Image

Ethernet-controller 1 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces

Ethernet-controller 2 has 12 Fast Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interfaces
Ethernet-controller 2 failed POST
POST error status : external RAM test failed

Ethernet-controller 3 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

Ethernet-controller 4 has 1 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface

The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
384K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:0B:FD:999:00
Motherboard assembly number: 73-5700-09
Power supply part number: 34-0966-02
Motherboard serial number: CAT070307NY
Power supply serial number: DCA065221FS
Model revision number: H0
Motherboard revision number: A0
Model number: WS-C3550-24-EMI
System serial number: CHK08040F11

!!! WARNING: The switch is not usable !!!

Press RETURN to get started!

00:00:32: %SPANTREE-5-EXTENDED_SYSID: Extended SysId enabled for type
vlan
00:00:34: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from memory by console
00:00:35: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --
IOS (tm) C3550 Software (C3550-I5Q3L2-M), Version 12.1(12c)EA1, RELEASE
SOFTWARE
(fc1)
Compiled Mon 25-Nov-02 00:07 by stephan

Doug McIntyre

remolacha <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
>A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
>I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
>routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
>back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE cable?
>I have a soldering iron

At $2 of so on eBay, vs. probably 10 hours of your time making it,
wouldn't it be easier to buy one on ebay for your DCE to DTE cable?
Those DB60 connectors are murder to hand solder..

>When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I hope I
>know means that the post test did not pass.

>I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller (2)
>is bad.

>Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be
>welcome.

Umm, the problem is that you have fried hardware, and fixing it will
most likely involve unsoldering highly dense surface mount chips,
finding said chips in the repair channel to be able to even buy them,
and reflow soldering them back on?

The switch probably functions for the first 12 ports and the last 2,
just not for ports 13 to 24?

The 2nd bank of 12 ports is probably fried beyond most people's
ability to repair for even 10 times what Smartnet would cost to get it
repaired (since the limited lifetime warantee isn't going to apply to you).

Andy Roberts

Try www.anthonypanda.com for back 2 back cables. I have had dozens of these
over the last few years and never a problem. Great price too.

On 29/04/2008 05:26, in article
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "jwkrych"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> remolacha wrote:
>> Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
>> A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
>> I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
>> routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
>> back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE cable?
>> I have a soldering iron
>>

> I'd recommend Dantrak from eBay for cables. They are top notch and great
> to work with. I agree about not hand soldering those things.
>
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> CCNA, Network+, Security+, 220-601(A+ Core)

remolacha

Thanks for the link Andy.
Would a DB60 to DB60 Crossover work ?
There are so many cables listed that I am a little bit confused as to
which one is the one I need....

The Catalyst 3550 ended up in the garbage where it came from - I don't
have time to fool around with defective equipment wondering if it's me
who's doing something wrong - maybe at a later time when I gather some
experience with these boxes...

Andy Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:C43C9ABD.235%(E-Mail Removed):

> Try www.anthonypanda.com for back 2 back cables. I have had dozens of
> these over the last few years and never a problem. Great price too.
>

> On 29/04/2008 05:26, in article
> (E-Mail Removed), "jwkrych"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> remolacha wrote:
>>> Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
>>> A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
>>> I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going
>>> to routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook
>>> them back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a
>>> DTE cable? I have a soldering iron
>>>

>> I'd recommend Dantrak from eBay for cables. They are top notch and
>> great to work with. I agree about not hand soldering those things.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> James
>>
>> CCNA, Network+, Security+, 220-601(A+ Core)

remolacha

jwkrych <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> remolacha wrote:
>> Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
>> A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
>> I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going
>> to routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook
>> them back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a
>> DTE cable? I have a soldering iron
>>

> I'd recommend Dantrak from eBay for cables. They are top notch and
> great to work with. I agree about not hand soldering those things.
>
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> CCNA, Network+, Security+, 220-601(A+ Core)

Thanks for tip James.

remolacha

Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:48153641$0$72689$(E-Mail Removed). net:

> remolacha <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Newbie here trying to set up a CCNA lab.
>>A friend gave me a Catalyst 3550 but it's not fully working.
>>I'd like to use to become familiar with switches first before going to
>>routers (I have two routers but can't get the DCE cable to hook them
>>back-to-back Anybody know how to make a male DTE cable into a DTE
>>cable? I have a soldering iron

> At $2 of so on eBay, vs. probably 10 hours of your time making it,
> wouldn't it be easier to buy one on ebay for your DCE to DTE cable?
> Those DB60 connectors are murder to hand solder..
>
>>When I power up this switch the Systen light stays amber - which I
>>hope I know means that the post test did not pass.

>>I also know from the outpt listed here below that Ethernet Controller
>>(2) is bad.

>>Any help in identifying and trouble shooting the problem would be
>>welcome.

> Umm, the problem is that you have fried hardware, and fixing it will
> most likely involve unsoldering highly dense surface mount chips,
> finding said chips in the repair channel to be able to even buy them,
> and reflow soldering them back on?
>
> The switch probably functions for the first 12 ports and the last 2,
> just not for ports 13 to 24?
>
> The 2nd bank of 12 ports is probably fried beyond most people's
> ability to repair for even 10 times what Smartnet would cost to get it
> repaired (since the limited lifetime warantee isn't going to apply to
> you).

Yeah, it ended up in the grabage - will try to get me another switch -
it's no good to try to learn on something that is broken...