Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem using Linksys USB Bluetooth Adaptor

Problem using Linksys USB Bluetooth Adaptor

Mark W

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this but I was hoping I'd
find some help here.
I just purchased two Linksys USBBT100 USB Bluetooth Adaptors recently,
one to use with my desktop, the other with my laptop. I do plan to use
these eventually to sync with a PocketPC but for now my main use it to
connect to a Motorola V551 Bluetooth Phone to use it as a wireless
modem for the internet.
I installed the unit in the laptop first with the installation CD and
it worked perfectly.
Second, I installed the other unit in my desktop with the installation
CD but with no luck. It would not find the phone at all although the
phone was found by the laptop. At that time I went into the knowledge
base on the Linksys web site and saw about special instructions for
using it with SP2. I printed out these instructions and followed
them. BOth of the above computers have XP with SP2. At that time it
still would not work on the desktop.
I decided since this update is probably important for using it with
SP2 I made the changes on my laptop as well. The laptop originally
worked with this adaptor but with the changes it no longer worked. I
could go back to the old way but I do like all the new menus, options,
etc. I get with the changes for SP2.
My question, what could I possibly be doing wrong? The only thing I
can think of is with the laptop I remember when I first installed the
driver there was a pull down menu to add com ports and I added com4.
On the Desktop with the install at first I tried to add com ports but
it had none in the list. Now though with the SP2 changes it does show
com9 active and after it didn't work I added a com10 and com11 as
well. I would appreciate any help with this.