Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Vista and XP Registry Entry

Re: Vista and XP Registry Entry

chuckcar

"Murray McNeill" <mfmcneill@execulink_DOT.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Has anyone any definite insight into the setting
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session
> Manager\Memory Management\SecondLevelDataCache in the Windows
> Registry? It exists both on XP and Vista. My personal experience has
> been a deifinite performance boost by setting this to the real value
> of the L2 cache memory capacity of the
> processor, both on Intel and AMD systems.
> The web gives mixed answers, with Microsoft calling it a legacy
> setting from the days of L2 cache located on the motherboard as
> opposed to the current structure, where it is in the die of the CPU.
> However, I also read that the HAL often doesn't detect properly the
> size of the L2 cache,
> and Windows then defaults to 256K, Seems a waste on a machine
> with a 4 Meg L2 cache.
> I know what Microsoft say, but there seems to be evidence that
> correctly setting this value will enhance performance,
> Any comments from the community?

Such a thing would be specified in the bios if it could be done at all.
It matters not the physical location of the cache on the MB. If it's on
the chip, however, then the number is constant isn't it? Both for speed
and size.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )