Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to determine which video adapter i have?

How to determine which video adapter i have?

bbb

Hello,

I just re-installed windows xp and have the weirdest problem. I can't
figure out what video adapter to install!

Feel rather foolish having to ask... but...

I know the motherboard part number from the box it came in, but that's it.

Anyone?

Sqwertz

bbb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just re-installed windows xp and have the weirdest problem. I can't
> figure out what video adapter to install!

You mean which one you have installed, not which one you're going to
install?

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager.

Then expand the "Display Adaptor" category.

-sw

chuckcar

bbb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I just re-installed windows xp and have the weirdest problem. I can't
> figure out what video adapter to install!
>
> Feel rather foolish having to ask... but...
>
> I know the motherboard part number from the box it came in, but that's
> it.
>
> Anyone?

Look in your main board manual (a little 3x5 booklet with what probably
seems a cryptic title) if you don't have a separate card. If you do,
look at the box for it. If neither of these work, you will have to shut
down the computer and remove the video card. Look at the largest chips
on it. Do *not* touch any of the chips or their leads!

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

bbb

Sqwertz wrote:
> bbb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just re-installed windows xp and have the weirdest problem. I can't
>> figure out what video adapter to install!

> You mean which one you have installed, not which one you're going to
> install?
>
> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager.
>
> Then expand the "Display Adaptor" category.
>
> -sw

Oh if only it were that simple! I recieve the following information:
Video Controller (vga compatable)
Device type: other devices
Location: Unknown
Location: PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0

Device status:
the drivers for this devie are not installed (code2

to reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver.

of course clicking on reinstalling driver gets me no where as it can't
find it on the internet, or it asks me to locate the driver on my system
or insert the disc containing the driver.

Hence my original question.

Anyone?

chuckcar

"T.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>

>> Look in your main board manual (a little 3x5 booklet with what
>> probably seems a cryptic title) if you don't have a separate card. If
>> you do, look at the box for it. If neither of these work, you will
>> have to shut down the computer and remove the video card. Look at the
>> largest chips on it. Do *not* touch any of the chips or their leads!

> Oh for heaven's sake. Download Belarc Advisor
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
> before you go opening up the box. (Notice the word, "free".)
>
> Here's part of what it reports for me under display;
>
> "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 [Display adapter]"
>
> Which is perfectly correct.
>
> Once you know that info, you shouldn't have any problems finding the
> correct driver(s) if that's what you're after.

It's not *my* problem. Reply to the OP. Besides there is *absolutely*
nothing wrong with what I suggested.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

bbb

Jack Gillis wrote:
> "bbb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> You mean which one you have installed, not which one you're going to
>>> install?
>>>
>>> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager.
>>>
>>> Then expand the "Display Adaptor" category.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Oh if only it were that simple! I recieve the following information:
>> Video Controller (vga compatable)
>> Device type: other devices
>> Location: Unknown
>> Location: PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
>>
>> Device status:
>> the drivers for this devie are not installed (code2
>>
>> to reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver.
>>
>> of course clicking on reinstalling driver gets me no where as it can't
>> find it on the internet, or it asks me to locate the driver on my system
>> or insert the disc containing the driver.
>>
>> Hence my original question.
>>
>> Anyone?

> I suggest downloading BeLarc Advisor. It is free and shows a whole bunch
> of interesting info about the hardware and software on your system --
> probably more than you wanted to know.
>
> Here is one link to the download:
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> Go for it!

Sadly that didn't give me any info on the video adapter. Under
'display' the result was 'none detected'.

I take it that is the category that would show the type of vid adapter
right? nothing else leapt out at me - no 'ati' or any recognizable name
like that.

sigh.

interesting report though.

chuckcar

"T.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> chuckcar wrote:
>
>> "T.J." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> Once you know that info, you shouldn't have any problems finding the
>>> correct driver(s) if that's what you're after.
>>>

>> It's not *my* problem. Reply to the OP. Besides there is *absolutely*
>> nothing wrong with what I suggested.

> You don't see anything "wrong" with instructing someone to, "shut down
> the computer and remove the video card" without exhausting all other
> options first?

I *did* specify other options. If you need to know what something is, the
simplest way of doing it is by looking at it. Besides *someone* installed that
card in the computer. Do you thnk *they* were in a clean room? Besides, answering to
a noob here is hardly what I would consider justified or worth my time. Bugger off.

> What's next? You gonna ask him to fire up his handy-dandy DVOM, and
> start checking pegs?

We're not talking about removing the CPU here. Obviously you have
absolutely *no* knowledge of computer hardware. I say again, If you have
an idea, give it to the OP I have no interest in you ideas.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Phat Sam

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:18:20 GMT, bbb <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I take it that is the category that would show the type of vid adapter
>right? nothing else leapt out at me - no 'ati' or any recognizable name
>like that.

I typically tell the device manager to remove the driver for the
device in Question (uninstall, etc.) then use Add/Remove Hardware to
search for new devices, this will usually pop up a window that says
"Windows has found new hardware", then display the name obtained from
the PNP device. If the device is not PNP your pretty much screwed
then.... However, if you want a general company name, usually you can
go to DOS, type DEBUG, then D C000:0 and view the hex display to find
any copyright notice, eg. Hit D and enter 2 more times on my system
and I see a line that says NVIDIA GeForce2 MX VGA BIOS

Etc.

If neither of the two methods work, your next option is to open up the
case, Rip out the Video Card, shine a flash light on the CHIPS and
tell us what the chip number and company names are on the chips to
attempt to ID the card....