Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Image Question

Image Question

Mtek

Hi,

I have a table that has a background image. I want part of that
background image to be clickable. But, I cannot figure out how to use
the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

Can anyone help please???

Thank you....

John

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a table that has a background image. I want part of that
> background image to be clickable. But, I cannot figure out how to use
> the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....
>
> Can anyone help please???
>
> Thank you....
>
> John

You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
an image that is carefully positioned and like that.

--
dorayme

Mtek

On Apr 25, 11:00*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> *Mtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I have a table that has a background image. *I want part of that
> > background image to be clickable. *But, I cannot figure out how to use
> > the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

> > Can anyone help please???

> > Thank you....

> > John

> You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
> in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
> not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
> an image that is carefully positioned and like that.
>
> --
> dorayme

Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 25, 11:00*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >
> > *Mtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > I have a table that has a background image. *I want part of that
> > > background image to be clickable. *But, I cannot figure out how to use
> > > the 'USEMAP' with the background image.....

> > > Can anyone help please???

> > > Thank you....

> > > John

> > You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
> > in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
> > not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
> > an image that is carefully positioned and like that.
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
> and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
> How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

What is the point of the background image being transparent if the image
on top is needing to be the one seen?

OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
description. Hold on... How about this:

<http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>

Try left top.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <Xns9A8C45CF447Aneredbojiasnano@85.214.90.236>,
Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2008, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
> >> and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
> >> How would I do that? I'm lost there, but just an idea.

> > What is the point of the background image being transparent if the
> > image on top is needing to be the one seen?
> >
> > OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
> > description. Hold on... How about this:
> >
> > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>
> >
> > Try left top.

> Tsk! Tsk!

Yeah ok! Well spotted. Try it now. Like the one about Big John?

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>,
Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

> >> Tsk! Tsk!

> > Yeah ok! Well spotted. Try it now.

> A-OK. However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
> without the specific declaration. Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
> things into quirks mode? (-Not that it matters in this case.)

You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

instead of

?

Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

--
dorayme

Paul

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
> description. Hold on... How about this:
>
> <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>

I have liked it!!
Big John....))
Paul

John Hosking

dorayme wrote:
> In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasnano@194.177.96.78>,
> Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:
>

>> A-OK. However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
>> without the specific declaration. Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
>> things into quirks mode? (-Not that it matters in this case.)

> You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>
> instead of

> ?
>
> Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
to hold the answer.

The page at http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/ provides a table near the
bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD (but
presumably with closing bracket) invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.

I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative.

--
John
Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

Mtek

On Apr 26, 6:48*am, John Hosking <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <Xns9A8CA6482060neredbojiasn...@194.177.96.78>,
> > *Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.net/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

> >> A-OK. *However, I'm surprised the validator validates it as "strict"
> >> without the specific declaration. *Wouldn't the doctype you've got put
> >> things into quirks mode? *(-Not that it matters in this case.)

> > You mean <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

> > instead of

> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

> > ?

> > Ask Harlan, he knows about these things.

> IANAH, but I do rely for doctype info on one page which, again, appears
> to hold the answer.
>
> The page athttp://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/*provides a table near the
> bottom where we can match doctype declarations with quirkmodedness of
> various browsers. Notice that the short form above without DTD (but
> presumably with closing bracket) invokes Strict mode in as many browsers
> as the second declaration above (the same one we're always telling
> people to use). It's quirkier on Mac IE5, though.
>
> I cannot speak to the actual veracity of the table nor to the currency
> of the page, but it /seems/ pretty authoritative.
>
> --
> John
> Read about the UIP:http://improve-usenet.org/- Hide quoted text -

Well everyone, I really appreciate everyone's input. dorayme's
suggestion seems easiest in terms of coding. I have a background
image with a button on the background which I want to use for the
click action. I really cannot crop it as it is an image background,
not a solid color or anything. So, I'll try some suggestions.......

Thanks!

John

Mtek

On Apr 26, 1:22*am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>

> *Mtek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Apr 25, 11:00*pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > You cannot normally make a background image or any part of it clickable
> > > in html/css. You can simulate it by having something in the html that is
> > > not a bg image that is clickable. A link that is carefully positioned,
> > > an image that is carefully positioned and like that.

> > > --
> > > dorayme

> > Well, is there any way to say have the background image transparent,
> > and then lay the image 'on top of' the transparent background image?
> > How would I do that? *I'm lost there, but just an idea.

> What is the point of the background image being transparent if the image
> on top is needing to be the one seen?
>
> OK, let me make a web page for you that seems to fit part of your main
> description. Hold on... How about this:
>
> <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/click.html>
>
> Try left top.
>
> --
> dorayme- Hide quoted text -

I tried your suggestion dorayme. The problem is, your image is the
same color of the background so it does not show. What if the area I
need clickable is PART of the background. It is a button image in the
background and cannot be cropped since it is an image
background........

John