Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why no anti theft feature?

Why no anti theft feature?

Blinky the Shark

Dave Cohen wrote:

> tony cooper wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:01:03 -0500, John O'Flaherty <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> That really seems like a great idea. One would have to sign on to the
>>> camera with a password, at some minimally inconvenient interval, or it
>>> wouldn't respond. This could be done at the camera through a (probably
>>> cumbersome) key system, or easily through a computer connecting to the
>>> camera. If it became generally known that a camera couldn't be operated
>>> more than one week after being stolen, its attractiveness would be
>>> reduced.

>> I think you over-rate the intelligence of a thief. The thief sees a
>> pawnable camera, not a device that won't work without a password.
>>
>> I have a vehicle that doesn't have a trunk, so anything in my car is in
>> view. Last weekend I took a short trip, and put an empty sack that
>> originally contained 17 pounds of dry dog food in the back. When I left
>> the car unattended, I stuck my camera bag in the sack figuring that no
>> one would break into my car to steal a crumpled bag of dry dog food.
>>

> No, but the dog might eat it.

Beware roving packs of feral camera hounds.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Steve

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:29:36 -0700, Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:23:15 -0700, Blinky the Shark
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>So you steal a camera. So it doesn't work. So you pitch it and go
>>>steal another one. Not a lot of deterrent there, IMO.

>> And after they do that 3 or 4 times and realize there's no value to a
>> stolen camera anymore, they won't take the chance to steal another one
>> for nothing. So that thief, who otherwise might be supplementing their
>> lifestyle with lots of stolen cameras, is out of business.

>I think that's only possible - if possible at all on a large scale - when
>most cameras are so equipped.

Exactly

>Seems like bad guys still steal cars despite measures to prevent same; I
>don't know if car theft has gone down significantly. But carjackings seem
>to have gone up; I, for one, am not convinced that I wish to be camjacked.

That's because cars are now a little harder to steal without the owner
so they carjack you. But the car is still valuable no matter how they
get it. For it to work with a camera, it would have to be something
that makes the camera worthless even if they camerajack you. Like a
code you have to enter once a day or something like that.

Steve

Blinky the Shark

George Kerby wrote:

> On 4/26/08 10:25 AM, in article JPHQj.100$uS1.24@trndny05, "peter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> How about a RFID bracelet or keyfob that must be within 6 feet of the
>>> camera to operate it?

>> That's another good idea. Then if the theft is detected, the camera
>> stops working and displays "to unlock camera, visit this web site and
>> enter serial number using your home computer"
>>

> In Spanish, as well.

For Spanish, press dos.

--

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> In article <d2lQj.1$Zs1.0@trndny07>, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Cameras are one of thieves favorite targets. Yet no camera has
>> anti-theft feature. Why is that?

> How would an anti-theft feature on a digital camera work, exactly?

The unauthorized user would either get all zeroes or all ones.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Roy G

"Shawn Hirn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <d2lQj.1$Zs1.0@trndny07>, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Cameras are one of thieves favorite targets. Yet no camera has anti-theft
>> feature. Why is that?

> How would an anti-theft feature on a digital camera work, exactly?
>
>> I'm going on a trip and can't decide what camera is less attractive to a
>> thief. A 5 year old canon rebel 300D (DSLR) with kit lense or a brand new
>> SD870?

> Basing your decision on which camera is less appealing to thieves is
> silly. I doubt your garden variety thief really cares. If you keep a
> close eye on your camera and take care not to leave it unattended in
> public, the odds of it being stolen are very slim, so bring the camera
> you feel will best fit your photographic needs.

The best way to find out which is the most attractive to a thief would be to
leave both of them unattended and see which gets stolen.

The remaining one should be the one to take on holiday, since it is very
obviously less attractive to thieves.

There is always the chance that both would get stolen, but then you could
post here for our opinions on what new camera you should buy.

Roy G

John Turco

George Kerby wrote:

> On 4/26/08 10:25 AM, in article JPHQj.100$uS1.24@trndny05, "peter"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> How about a RFID bracelet or keyfob that must be within 6 feet of the
> >> camera to operate it?

> > That's another good idea. Then if the theft is detected, the camera stops
> > working and displays "to unlock camera, visit this web site and enter serial
> > number using your home computer"
> >

> In Spanish, as well.

Hello, George:

Want to scare away thieves? Just stick a "Sigma" label on your camera!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>