Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 64bit

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition 64bit

jester0770

I am a student researching for a school project. I was wondering if you have
to have a cal for anyone who will access the server from a workstation. Or
if its only for people directly accessing the server. Any information would
be greatly appreciated.

kemp

Hello jester0770,

> I am a student researching for a school project. I was wondering if
> you have to have a cal for anyone who will access the server from a
> workstation. Or if its only for people directly accessing the server.

Yes, a CAL must be purchased for each workstation that accesses the server.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"kemp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

>> I am a student researching for a school project. I was wondering if
>> you have to have a cal for anyone who will access the server from a
>> workstation. Or if its only for people directly accessing the server.
>> Any information would be greatly appreciated.

> Yes, a CAL must be purchased for each workstation that accesses the
> server.

or.... each =user= ... financially speaking, whichever number is lower is
the correct answer.

e.g. if you have five machines, and two people, you only need two per-user
CALs.

Likewise if you have three people and one computer, you only need one
per-device CAL.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com