Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Is this possible?

Is this possible?

sherry

I am running Windows XP MCE.
My home built PC has 2 network lan adapters.
I currently use one for my home network which includes
a DSL modem and a wireless router for laptop access.

I have another wireless router (G/A). Can I plug that router
into the other network card and have my XBOX wirelessly
access my media center PC via that router?

Would I just run a cable from one of the computer connectors
on the router to the other network adapter?

How would MCE know which network adapter to use?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You can connect it like this, Wireless Router as an AP -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
However you probably do not need the second Wireless Router.
If you have one Wireless Router every Wireless Device on your network can
access through it any other devices on the network provided that the devices
are set to Share resources.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"sherry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am running Windows XP MCE.
> My home built PC has 2 network lan adapters.
> I currently use one for my home network which includes
> a DSL modem and a wireless router for laptop access.
>
> I have another wireless router (G/A). Can I plug that router
> into the other network card and have my XBOX wirelessly
> access my media center PC via that router?
>
> Would I just run a cable from one of the computer connectors
> on the router to the other network adapter?
>
> How would MCE know which network adapter to use?

Sherry Crawley

Well, lots of info. here. This could take me a while.
I'm doing this more as an experiment. Not sure if it's
really practical.

I have a wireless router that currently serves all my needs including
handling my XBOX.

I have recently gotten hold of a new Links G/A wireless router. Since the
XBOX runs
on the A band, and it supposedly not used as much, I thought
I would try to configure it, the idea being I would have one network
for the 'business' stuff, and the A router for the XBOX, if that
makes any sense.

Assuming this is possible, I am curious how it works. How does media center
know which network card to handle requests from? I'm a bit fuzzy
on this stuff. I configured my XBOX
to run on this adapter, and I get as far as getting an IP address, but it
stops
when it can't find a media PC. It works fine in the 'old' configuration.
Just curious.

Thanks. I'll start reading.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> You can connect it like this, Wireless Router as an AP -
> http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
> However you probably do not need the second Wireless Router.
> If you have one Wireless Router every Wireless Device on your network can
> access through it any other devices on the network provided that the
> devices are set to Share resources.
> settings, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> allowed to be shared.
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "sherry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am running Windows XP MCE.
>> My home built PC has 2 network lan adapters.
>> I currently use one for my home network which includes
>> a DSL modem and a wireless router for laptop access.
>>
>> I have another wireless router (G/A). Can I plug that router
>> into the other network card and have my XBOX wirelessly
>> access my media center PC via that router?
>>
>> Would I just run a cable from one of the computer connectors
>> on the router to the other network adapter?
>>
>> How would MCE know which network adapter to use?

Barb Bowman

do you have the latest firmware for this router? what model and
hardware rev?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Sherry Crawley

It's a LinkSys A+G Router (WRT55AG)
I've not checked it yet for updates. I'll do that.

Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...