Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Making web user controls (ascx) available to more than 1 web application

Making web user controls (ascx) available to more than 1 web application

Andy B

How do you make ascx controls available to more than 1 web application or
vs2008 project? I tried putting it inside a dll but it wont let me. I
thought there was a project type for web user controls, but can't find it
now for some reason. What should I do?

Juan T. Llibre

Please follow the instructions in this MSDN article :

Turning an .ascx User Control into a Redistributable Custom Control:

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Andy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you make ascx controls available to more than 1 web application or vs2008 project? I tried putting it inside a
> dll but it wont let me. I thought there was a project type for web user controls, but can't find it now for some
> reason. What should I do?

Lloyd Sheen

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please follow the instructions in this MSDN article :
>
> Turning an .ascx User Control into a Redistributable Custom Control:
>
> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> "Andy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do you make ascx controls available to more than 1 web application or
>> vs2008 project? I tried putting it inside a
>> dll but it wont let me. I thought there was a project type for web user
>> controls, but can't find it now for some
>> reason. What should I do?

Thought this might be interesting since I use a bunch of ascx. I followed
the public instructions using VS 2008 and I get a bunch of .compiled rather
than dll's. These .compiled files are all 1KB so not a dll.

LS

Lloyd Sheen

"Lloyd Sheen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Please follow the instructions in this MSDN article :
>>
>> Turning an .ascx User Control into a Redistributable Custom Control:
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479318.aspx
>>
>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> ======================================
>> "Andy B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How do you make ascx controls available to more than 1 web application
>>> or vs2008 project? I tried putting it inside a
>>> dll but it wont let me. I thought there was a project type for web user
>>> controls, but can't find it now for some
>>> reason. What should I do?
>>>

> Thought this might be interesting since I use a bunch of ascx. I followed
> the public instructions using VS 2008 and I get a bunch of .compiled
> rather than dll's. These .compiled files are all 1KB so not a dll.
>
> LS

Sorry did not do all step correctly. It works.

LS

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Sorry did not do all step correctly. It works.

Indeed, it does.
Glad that you worked out the snag.