Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > @#$%& Auto programs

@#$%& Auto programs

Joe Makowiec

On 27 Apr 2008 in rec.photo.digital, John Turco wrote:

> Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System.
> (Windows XP Home, SP2.)

XP, Classic view of the control panel, it's under 'Administrative Tools'

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:899b3$4813832b$4831158c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>

> ..... and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel
>>

> Now,one of those would really make your photo's colors pop....

Thanks to my godmother I'll have one on my desk in a few days It's a
custom in Greece to make presents in Easter, the orthodox Easter is today.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Jürgen Exner

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>? "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
>> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
>> ..... and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel
>>
>> Now,one of those would really make your photo's colors pop....
>>

>Thanks to my godmother I'll have one on my desk in a few days

I very, very strongly doubt that .
Read again -carefully- what you wrote above.

jue

PS: if you still don't see it, please check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lsd

jue

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Allen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > If Linux works well for you, and you like it, great! However, it is not
> > the solution for most of us.

> Actually, it is the way out for all of us. You may choose not to see,
> if you must.

the way out of what?

Blinky the Shark

nospam wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Allen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > If Linux works well for you, and you like it, great! However, it is
>> > not the solution for most of us.

>> Actually, it is the way out for all of us. You may choose not to see,
>> if you must.

> the way out of what?

Cleveland.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Let's see. Vendors of image editing software must each implement this
> feature themselves because the platform they run on provides no central
> mechanism.

on the mac there's a central mechanism.

> Many Photoshop plugins work fine with the GIMP under Linux
> because vendors must write their own low-level graphics code rather than
> rely on the platform's native libraries.

no, *some* photoshop plug-ins (filter plug-ins, in particular) work in
the gimp because the photoshop host api is implemented as a gimp
plug-in.

there are plenty of other photoshop plug-ins, including image stack,
automate, selection, colour picker, format, import and export plugins
that do not work in the gimp. also, i doubt that recent photoshop
filter plug-ins will work properly, as adobe has added quite a bit to
the api in recent years.

furthermore, photoshop plug-ins do not need to implement their own low
level graphics code. plug-ins can use photoshop itself (via callbacks)
or the host platform's libraries (either mac or pc) to do whatever is
needed. one drawback to using the platform libraries directly is that
two separate versions will be needed for a cross platform plug-in,
whereas if one uses photoshop's callbacks (or platform neutral code),
only one implementation is required.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Many Photoshop plugins work fine with the GIMP under Linux because
> >> vendors must write their own low-level graphics code rather than rely
> >> on the platform's native libraries.

> > no, *some* photoshop plug-ins (filter plug-ins, in particular) work in
> > the gimp because the photoshop host api is implemented as a gimp
> > plug-in.

> Why the rush to say, "No," when you're actually agreeing with me?

i'm pointing out that only some plug-ins work but not for the reasons
you stated.

> The pspi.exe GIMP plug-in for Windows lets you run Photoshop plug-ins
> in the GIMP. You can get pspi.exe to run under Linux using WINE.
> Many Photoshop plug-ins work fine with the GIMP under Linux because
> they use their own graphics libraries rather than relying on some
> external library that might not be present or might not work under
> WINE.

plug-ins generally contain all the code they need without requiring
external libraries, or they call back into photoshop for whatever
service is required. one example is drawing to screen, where photoshop
does the resizing, colour profile matching, bounds clipping, etc.

some plug-ins might make use of platform specific routines, but that's
generally the exception since it doubles the work needed for a
cross-platform plug-in. if it calls an external library (which would
be even more unusual), there would need to be two such libraries, one
for mac and one for windows. by sticking to photoshop apis, plug-ins
are for all intents, automatically cross-platform, with almost no extra
effort.

> > there are plenty of other photoshop plug-ins, including image stack,
> > automate, selection, colour picker, format, import and export plugins
> > that do not work in the gimp. also, i doubt that recent photoshop
> > filter plug-ins will work properly, as adobe has added quite a bit to
> > the api in recent years.

> There are certainly plenty of Photoshop plug-ins that don't work
> with the GIMP under Linux. And, it may be that Adobe has thrown
> a wrench into the works by changing the API. These are some of
> the risks of letting yourself get locked into proprietary software.

what's proprietary about it? the photoshop api is public and anyone
can get it and write photoshop plug-ins.

adobe has not changed the api, but they've added a lot to it with every
release of photoshop, and recent plug-ins use the new features. for
instance, cs3 now supports smart filters (non-destructive filters), and
if a filter plug-in supports that, it too can be non-destructive. i'd
rather benefit from the improvements than have it stagnate.

> > furthermore, photoshop plug-ins do not need to implement their own low
> > level graphics code. plug-ins can use photoshop itself (via callbacks)
> > or the host platform's libraries (either mac or pc) to do whatever is
> > needed. one drawback to using the platform libraries directly is that
> > two separate versions will be needed for a cross platform plug-in,
> > whereas if one uses photoshop's callbacks (or platform neutral code),
> > only one implementation is required.

> Ummm, yeah. Having Photoshop libraries available implies having
> Photoshop installed, which is not currently possible under Linux.

not being able to run photoshop is definitely a drawback.

> Of course, many things would work better if vendors used cross-
> platform libraries like the GIMP's gtk+. See my earlier comment
> about the risks of getting locked into proprietary software.

as i said before, the photoshop api is available to anyone and the
plug-ins are generally a combination of platform neutral code and
callbacks into photoshop. it's very easy to make a plug-in cross
platform.

John Turco

Joe Makowiec wrote:

> On 27 Apr 2008 in rec.photo.digital, John Turco wrote:
>
> > Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System.
> > (Windows XP Home, SP2.)

> XP, Classic view of the control panel, it's under 'Administrative Tools'

Hello, Joe:

I found it, thank you. (Did me no good, alas.)

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Ron Hunter wrote:

> John Turco wrote:
> > Ron Hunter wrote:
> >> Usually, there are 'services' which do this monitoring of activity, and
> >> you can set them to not load automatically. (disable). Access the
> >> control panel, and find services under system.

> > Hello, Ron:
> >
> > Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System. (Windows
> > XP Home, SP2.)
> >

> Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

Hello, Ron:

I saw Joe Makowiec's reply, with that same info, first. Regardless, accessing
"Services" didn't help me, as there was no option for this type of "monitoring
of activity," there.

Thanks, anyway!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> nospam wrote:

> >> Actually, it is the way out for all of us. You may choose not to see,
> >> if you must.

> > the way out of what?

> Cleveland.

Hello, Blinky:

Argh! Not >another< Cleveland joke, please! :-J

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>