Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > @#$%& Auto programs

@#$%& Auto programs

Ed Mullikin

Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my Autoplay
settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be not an
option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Photo
Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of this
"help"?

Jürgen Exner

"Ed Mullikin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
>get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my Autoplay
>settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be not an
>option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Photo
>Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of this
>"help"?

This time it has nothing to do with AutoPlay.
When installing Adobe PSE it placed a deamon in the system tray. This
daemon checks for new memory cards with photos and if it finds those it
will launch PSE.
Disable/close/exit that deamon and PSE will keep quiet.

To stop PSE from starting that deamon every time you log on go to
Edit -> Preference -> Camera or Card Reader -> Download Options and
disable "Auto Launch Adobe Photo Downloader on Device Connect"

jue

Ed Mullikin

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ed Mullikin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
>>get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my
>>Autoplay
>>settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be not an
>>option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Photo
>>Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of this
>>"help"?

> This time it has nothing to do with AutoPlay.
> When installing Adobe PSE it placed a deamon in the system tray. This
> daemon checks for new memory cards with photos and if it finds those it
> will launch PSE.
> Disable/close/exit that deamon and PSE will keep quiet.
>
> To stop PSE from starting that deamon every time you log on go to
> Edit -> Preference -> Camera or Card Reader -> Download Options and
> disable "Auto Launch Adobe Photo Downloader on Device Connect"
>
> jue

Thank you! That appears to have solved my vexing problem.

David J Taylor

Paul Allen wrote:
[]
> This is what I've come to expect from Linux. It's easy,
> intuitive, and reliable. I don't ever have to post questions
> on Usenet asking where to find the checkbox that turns an
> annoying feature off.
>
> Paul Allen

Not needing to ask questions may say more about you as a computer literate
user, than about the OS as such! <G>

David

Jürgen Exner

Paul Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>This is what I've come to expect from Linux. It's easy,
>intuitive, and reliable. I don't ever have to post questions
>on Usenet asking where to find the checkbox that turns an
>annoying feature off.

Do you honestly believe that in a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop that
check box would be in a different place than in the Windows version?

jue

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Ed Mullikin" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:962Qj.110708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
> get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my
> Autoplay settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be
> not an option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0
> Photo Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of
> this "help"?

Go to "run", type "msconfig", then go to "startup" in the window that pops
up. I have disabled everything, except the language tool bar, the icon that
disconnects usb devices, the speaker icon, and DSL connection icon (in the
taskbar). I did that since my celeron 433, and increases performance. I have
win XP greek, core 2 duo 2.66, 1 GB, asus ATI 2600 512 MB, 320 GB Hitach
deskstar, and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

John

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Paul Allen wrote:

>>> Do you honestly believe that in a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop that
>>> check box would be in a different place than in the Windows version?

>> What an odd thing to ask. Who said anything about a Linux version
>> of Photoshop?
>>
>> One answer is that Windows software generally *is* confusing. The
>> possibility of a Linux port of Photoshop that puts things in different
>> places than the Windows version is not that much of a stretch.

> (snort) And Linux programs also just SMELL better, usually like Damask
> roses. And when you hit F6, actual dollar bills start pouring out of the
> back of your keyboard...with Linux. Also, using Linux will get you a date
> with a supermodel.

What is the program called in Linux? Is it really any good?

John.

Jürgen Exner

Paul Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:22:07 +0000, Jürgen Exner wrote:
>
>> Paul Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>This is what I've come to expect from Linux. It's easy, intuitive, and
>>>reliable. I don't ever have to post questions on Usenet asking where to
>>>find the checkbox that turns an annoying feature off.

>> Do you honestly believe that in a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop that
>> check box would be in a different place than in the Windows version?

>What an odd thing to ask. Who said anything about a Linux version
>of Photoshop?

The OP didn't know how to disable the "Auto Launch Adobe Photo
Downloader". It was _YOU_ who replied it would be easier on Linux.

Linux may or may not be easy, intuitive, reliable and save the world
from hunger. However it would not have solved the OP's problem, even if
there were a Linux version of PS.

[Rest of ranting snipped because vastly OT]

jue

Dave

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

...... and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel

Now,one of those would really make your photo's colors pop....

Dave

John Turco

Ron Hunter wrote:

> Ed Mullikin wrote:
> > Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer
> > I get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my
> > Autoplay settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to
> > be not an option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements
> > 5.0 Photo Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all
> > of this "help"?

> Usually, there are 'services' which do this monitoring of activity, and
> you can set them to not load automatically. (disable). Access the
> control panel, and find services under system.

Hello, Ron:

Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System. (Windows
XP Home, SP2.)

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>