Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera recommendations sought

Camera recommendations sought

Robert Coe

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 16:11:57 +1000, "Jeff R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "JoeM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:IjVPj.6865$Y81.756@trndny09...
: > Hello,
: >
: > I am shopping for my first digital camera. I am inclined to get a
: > point-and-shoot, but would like to have the following two features which
: > most point-and-shoots do not have:
: >
: > 1) The option to have a small depth of field (to blur the background of
: > portraits, for example).
:
: This is always going to be a problem with the slow, short focal length
: lenses in P&S's.

Short FL, yes. Slow? Not necessarily. My Canon G-5 has an f/2.0 lens. On my
DSLR I have only one lens that's faster than f/2.8.

: > 2) A sensor large enough to have minimal distortion at high ISO.
:
: I presume you mean "noise", not "distortion"...

In this context "noise" is a form of distortion. (The image's colors and/or
sharpness are distorted by spurious interference.) That's why you didn't
hesitate to presume the OP's intended meaning. Even when our photographic
argot assigns highly specific meanings to common English words, those words
don't necessarily lose their original, broader meanings.

Bob

John Turco

"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:

> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >JoeM wrote:

<heavily edited for brevity>

> >> Thanks Floyd. I don't think I can afford a top of the line model, so I
> >> may have to do some compromising.

> >Hello, Joe:
> >
> >Please, don't listen to Floyd, too carefully. <g> My own Pentax K100D is
> >considered a "bottom-of-the-line" DSLR, but, it's still capable of some
> >rather shallow DOF; noise isn't much of an issue, normally, either.

> John, have you ever compared something like a Nikon D3 to your K100D?

Hello, Floyd:

Shucks, no! D3 or not, Nikon is somewhat out of my league.

Pentax is for peons (such as myself), luckily enough. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>