Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Setting up new wireless connection

Setting up new wireless connection

Wyman G.

A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me to
set it up wireless which I can do. He will be shipping the laptop to his
daughter in Atlanta. My question is: Can I still set up the SSID and the
run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or does
someone need to set it up there? I guess my main concern is when I unplug
the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition and
lose all the saved settings.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wy

smlunatick

On Apr 23, 1:18*pm, Wyman G. <Wyman (E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me to
> set it up wireless which I can do. *He will be shipping the laptop to his
> daughter in Atlanta. *My question is: *Can I still set up the SSID and the
> run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or does
> someone need to set it up there? *I guess my main concern is when I unplug
> the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition and
> lose all the saved settings.
>
> Any information is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Wy

You can set up the SSID, wireless channel, WPA key, router password
and network IP address range before sending to Atlanta. The only
setting that must be down in Atlanta is the set up for the Internet
service. If you know that the Internet service would be based on DHCP
(usually for cable TV style Internet service) you can set up this easy
anywhere else.

Barb Bowman

A router should hold settings through power outages, being
unplugged, etc.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
The LAN side and the Wireless of the Router would hold.
The WAN side (Internet) would have to be configured according to the nature
of the connection, and or, ISP's instructions.
P.S. Configure the Router to work on Wireless channel 11 to reduce conflict
with other neighborhood Routers that are probably set to default 6.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Wyman G." <Wyman (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend is getting a new laptop with XP and wireless router and asked me
> set it up wireless which I can do. He will be shipping the laptop to his
> daughter in Atlanta. My question is: Can I still set up the SSID and the
> run the router setup with everything left in tact when he ships it or does
> someone need to set it up there? I guess my main concern is when I unplug
> the power from the router that it will reset back to factory condition and
> lose all the saved settings.
>
> Any information is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Wy