Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Session timeout in IIS and web.config, which overwrites which?

Session timeout in IIS and web.config, which overwrites which?

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

By default, IIS is configured to timeout a session in 20 minutes,
which can be changed through the IIS config window.

I use InProc sessionState mode. I can also set the session timeout in
web.config. So here is my question:

If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?

Thank you.

bruce barker

the IIS session setting is for asp only, not asp.net

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> By default, IIS is configured to timeout a session in 20 minutes,
> which can be changed through the IIS config window.
>
> I use InProc sessionState mode. I can also set the session timeout in
> web.config. So here is my question:
>
> If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
> web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
> session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?
>
> Thank you.

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

On Apr 23, 12:02 pm, bruce barker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> the IIS session setting is for asp only, not asp.net
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > By default, IIS is configured to timeout a session in 20 minutes,
> > which can be changed through the IIS config window.

> > I use InProc sessionState mode. I can also set the session timeout in
> > web.config. So here is my question:

> > If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
> > web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
> > session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?

> > Thank you.

Ha, thank you very much. No wonder, from my series of tests, my
timeout setting in web.config always outlives the IIS session setting.
I searched for MSDN documentation about what you said, but could not
find it.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> the IIS session setting is for asp only, not asp.net
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>
> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
> > By default, IIS is configured to timeout a session in 20 minutes,
> > which can be changed through the IIS config window.

> > I use InProc sessionState mode. I can also set the session timeout in
> > web.config. So here is my question:

> > If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
> > web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
> > session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?

> > Thank you.

I looked into the asp.net configuration setting console, and notice
that we can also set the session timeout there. So, if I have session
timeout value of 20 minutes in this asp.net configuration setting
console, but in my web.config, I set this value to be 30 minutes.
Which one will take effect?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
!> web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
!> session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?

30 minutes.

ASP.NET configuration settings override IIS configuration settings.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By default, IIS is configured to timeout a session in 20 minutes,
> which can be changed through the IIS config window.
>
> I use InProc sessionState mode. I can also set the session timeout in
> web.config. So here is my question:
>
> If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
> web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
> session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?
>
> Thank you.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I looked into the asp.net configuration setting console, and notice
!> that we can also set the session timeout there. So, if I have session
!> timeout value of 20 minutes in this asp.net configuration setting
!> console, but in my web.config, I set this value to be 30 minutes.
!> Which one will take effect?

The ASP.NET configuration tool will update your web.config to whatever value you set.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 23, 12:02 pm, bruce barker
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> the IIS session setting is for asp only, not asp.net
>>
>> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>>
>> "(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:
>> > By default, IIS is configured to timeout a session in 20 minutes,
>> > which can be changed through the IIS config window.

>> > I use InProc sessionState mode. I can also set the session timeout in
>> > web.config. So here is my question:

>> > If IIS setting has a session timeout value of 20 minutes, but my
>> > web.config setting has a session timeout of 30 minutes, will the
>> > session time out in 20 minutes or in 30 minutes?

>> > Thank you.

> I looked into the asp.net configuration setting console, and notice
> that we can also set the session timeout there. So, if I have session
> timeout value of 20 minutes in this asp.net configuration setting
> console, but in my web.config, I set this value to be 30 minutes.
> Which one will take effect?

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

On Apr 23, 2:14 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> re:
> !> I looked into the asp.net configuration setting console, and notice
> !> that we can also set the session timeout there. So, if I have session
> !> timeout value of 20 minutes in this asp.net configuration setting
> !> console, but in my web.config, I set this value to be 30 minutes.
> !> Which one will take effect?
>
> The ASP.NET configuration tool will update your web.config to whatever value you set.
>
> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en espaņol :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> ======================================

Muchas gracious, senor. But I am confused by two responses of
yours.

Your first response says:

ASP.NET configuration settings override IIS configuration settings.

You meant web.config setting will override whatever setting we make
through IIS config console, right?

And here is your second response, shown below:

The ASP.NET configuration tool will update your web.config to whatever
value you set.

Do you mean that my web.config's session timeout value will be changed
by the IIS config tool to whatever value we set through the IIS config
tool?

Please clarify.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> You meant web.config setting will override whatever setting we make
!> through IIS config console, right?

Not all settings, but settings which only apply to ASP.NET.

Other IIS settings ( like for PHP apps or HTML pages ),
retain the IIS default configuration, unless mapped to the ASP.NET ISAPI dll.

re:
!> Do you mean that my web.config's session timeout value will be changed
!> by the IIS config tool to whatever value we set through the IIS config tool?

No. I said just the opposite.

For ASP.NET apps, settings which apply only to ASP.NET
will override IIS default configuration settings.

wrote:
> re:
> !> I looked into the asp.net configuration setting console, and notice
> !> that we can also set the session timeout there. So, if I have session
> !> timeout value of 20 minutes in this asp.net configuration setting
> !> console, but in my web.config, I set this value to be 30 minutes.
> !> Which one will take effect?
>
> The ASP.NET configuration tool will update your web.config to whatever value you set.
>
> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en espaņol :http://asp.net.do/foros/
> ======================================

Muchas gracious, senor. But I am confused by two responses of
yours.

Your first response says:

ASP.NET configuration settings override IIS configuration settings.

You meant web.config setting will override whatever setting we make
through IIS config console, right?

And here is your second response, shown below:

The ASP.NET configuration tool will update your web.config to whatever
value you set.

Do you mean that my web.config's session timeout value will be changed
by the IIS config tool to whatever value we set through the IIS config
tool?

Please clarify.

antonyliu2002@yahoo.com

On Apr 23, 4:55 pm, "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> re:
> !> You meant web.config setting will override whatever setting we make
> !> through IIS config console, right?
>
> Not all settings, but settings which only apply to ASP.NET.
>
> Other IIS settings ( like for PHP apps or HTML pages ),
> retain the IIS default configuration, unless mapped to the ASP.NET ISAPI dll.
>
> re:
> !> Do you mean that my web.config's session timeout value will be changed
> !> by the IIS config tool to whatever value we set through the IIS config tool?
>
> No. I said just the opposite.
>
> For ASP.NET apps, settings which apply only to ASP.NET
> will override IIS default configuration settings.
>
> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
> foros de asp.net, en espaņol :http://asp.net.do/foros/

OK, good know. So, with regard to session timeout, web.config will
override the session timeout setting of the IIS config tool, right?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>OK, good know. So, with regard to session timeout, web.config will
!>override the session timeout setting of the IIS config tool, right?

Only for ASP.NET apps...