Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing is Limited

Sharing is Limited

=?Utf-8?B?WGV0aGVhcmU=?=

We have installed D-Link cards on two computers. One, the host, shares its
internet connection with the client. Both computers find each other and are
able to share files.

The thing is, the client computer can only access a few websites, like
Google. Most of the websites, like Yahoo and MSN (not Microsoft Update), the
browsers (Explorer and Firefox) find, connect and wait for about five minutes
before displaying "Page cannot be displayed". Some sites actually transfer
SOME data and the browsers just wait for the sites to send the rest,
eventually resulting in a message box: "The document contains no data".

We unchecked Load Images: nothing. We re-checked it: still nothing. We tried
changing the cache to 5megs and to up to 200megs, but this makes no
difference. We've gone through all the help topics and troubleshooters that
come with xp, but we still have limited browsing on the client.

The host browses just fine.

DLink Guru

Are you running a firewall on the client computer? If so, try disabling it
and see what happens.

Robert....

"Xetheare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have installed D-Link cards on two computers. One, the host, shares its
> internet connection with the client. Both computers find each other and
> are
> able to share files.
>
> The thing is, the client computer can only access a few websites, like
> Google. Most of the websites, like Yahoo and MSN (not Microsoft Update),
> the
> browsers (Explorer and Firefox) find, connect and wait for about five
> minutes
> before displaying "Page cannot be displayed". Some sites actually transfer
> SOME data and the browsers just wait for the sites to send the rest,
> eventually resulting in a message box: "The document contains no data".
>
> We unchecked Load Images: nothing. We re-checked it: still nothing. We
> tried
> changing the cache to 5megs and to up to 200megs, but this makes no
> difference. We've gone through all the help topics and troubleshooters
> that
> come with xp, but we still have limited browsing on the client.
>
> The host browses just fine.

=?Utf-8?B?WGV0aGVhcmU=?=

Okay, I disabled the firewall, even shut off the spyware progs, but I still
get the same results.

"DLink Guru" wrote:

> Are you running a firewall on the client computer? If so, try disabling it
> and see what happens.
>
> Robert....

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
May be you need to optimize the TCP/IP Stack.
http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).