Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Thinking out loud re: MCSE

Reply
Thread Tools

Thinking out loud re: MCSE

 
 
Boris Badenov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008
I'm actively turning my years as a technician on various medical, library,
and business products into certifications so that I can be more marketable.
So far this year I've managed to study for and pass CompTIA's A+ and
Network+ exams. Now, my next thought was to pick up an MCP on either XP
Prof. or Vista. This would get me my MCP plus move me one step closer
towards MCSE on Win. Server 2003.

My question to the group here is which OS exam should I go for: 70-270 or
70-620? I don't see XP disappearing anytime soon, but I wonder if I should
just push ahead and go with Vista since it will eventually replace it. I
think I'd rather do XP since I've had the most experience with it, but I'm
also running Vista Home Premium on 2 machines at home.

Any thoughts, good people?

TIA

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John R
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008

"Boris Badenov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm actively turning my years as a technician on various medical, library,
> and business products into certifications so that I can be more
> marketable. So far this year I've managed to study for and pass CompTIA's
> A+ and Network+ exams. Now, my next thought was to pick up an MCP on
> either XP Prof. or Vista. This would get me my MCP plus move me one step
> closer towards MCSE on Win. Server 2003.
>
> My question to the group here is which OS exam should I go for: 70-270 or
> 70-620? I don't see XP disappearing anytime soon, but I wonder if I
> should just push ahead and go with Vista since it will eventually replace
> it. I think I'd rather do XP since I've had the most experience with it,
> but I'm also running Vista Home Premium on 2 machines at home.
>
> Any thoughts, good people?
>


Why go for MCSE 2003 when Server 2008 will eventually replace it? It's the
same question. The issue here is what do YOU see yourself needing in the
future, especially if you are looking to market yourself? The fact is both
70-270 and 70-620 will count towards the client elective for MCSE 2003,
however nobody will ever ask you what client elective you took to get to
MCSE. Most people (including myself) would tell you that if you have more
experience with XP then go for 270, and if you have more experience with
Vista, then go fot 620. What fits in with future certifications that you
think you might pursue?

By the way, 70-270 will get you MCP, 70-620 will get you MCTS. However, any
of the core MCSE 2003 exams will get you MCP when you move on towards them.

Congrats on the CompTIA certs. Say 'Hi' to moose and squirrel (and Natasha,
she's hawt)

John R

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ciro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008
> By the way, 70-270 will get you MCP, 70-620 will get you MCTS. However,
> any of the core MCSE 2003 exams will get you MCP when you move on towards
> them.


Hmmm.... I think passing for 70-620 will earn you the MCP *AND* MCTS
credential.
However I cannot give a 100% guarantee on that...

( http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...uirements.mspx )

- Besides that I personally think the Vista exam is easier then the XP exam.
This is because all the "sysprep/deploying" questions in the XP exam. Your
XP user experience will prove to be quit useless with those questions.
- When you are MSCA/MCSE you can upgrade to the new 2008 certification path.
- TS credentials will disappear withing time, MSCA/MSCE credentials not
(They will become "out of fashion offcourse ).

Kind regards,

Ciro.
--
Ciro Morra - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Junior Microsoft Consultant

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jtyc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008
> Why go for MCSE 2003 when Server 2008 will eventually replace it?

Because 2003 is still the majority of the marketplace and will be around for
quite some time.

 
Reply With Quote
 
John R
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008

"Ciro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hmmm.... I think passing for 70-620 will earn you the MCP *AND* MCTS
> credential.
> However I cannot give a 100% guarantee on that...
>
> ( http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...uirements.mspx )
>
> - Besides that I personally think the Vista exam is easier then the XP
> exam. This is because all the "sysprep/deploying" questions in the XP
> exam. Your XP user experience will prove to be quit useless with those
> questions.
> - When you are MSCA/MCSE you can upgrade to the new 2008 certification
> path.
> - TS credentials will disappear withing time, MSCA/MSCE credentials not
> (They will become "out of fashion offcourse ).
>


Hi Ciro.

In fact, 70-620 will not grant MCP status. See the following links...
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-620.mspx

The new MCTS/MCITP generation of exams (Vista, Server 2008, etc) do not
grant MCP status. MCP, like MCSA and MCSE will become "out of fashion" some
day as you say.

MCTS credentials have now been extended. The original announcement was that
they were good for three years and would have to be renewed. Microsoft has
changed that now. MCTS credentials will now expire with mainstream support
for the technology. So, when mainstream support for Vista drops, the MCTS
related credentials for Vista technologies will expire.

XP user experience will indeed not fully prepare you for 70-270 since 70-270
is not a user level exam, it is designed to look at XP from a system
administrator point of view. That is why it is accepted as the client side
component of MCSA and MCSE. Deployment issues such as sysprep and RIS are
important to administrators. For user level XP, one should consider the
MCDST certification tests which are much more user oriented (although, as I
remember, you did have to have at least an introduction to RIS and sysprep
for 70-271, but not near as much as 70-270).

I have yet to take 70-620 (yea, I'm being lazy) but I am truly surprised
that there does not appear to be any deployment objectives in that test, at
least none on the link I posted above unless I am mis-reading that. I guess
they can't test *everything*.

Cheers

John R

 
Reply With Quote
 
John R
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008

"Jtyc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why go for MCSE 2003 when Server 2008 will eventually replace it?

>
> Because 2003 is still the majority of the marketplace and will be around
> for quite some time.


As will XP. Read the next two sentences of that post. My point there was
to find out what was important to the OP and where they see themselves in
the near and not-so-near future. The OP was questioning about taking an XP
test when Vista is out, yet they were interested in pursuing MCSE when
Server 2008 was out.

They have to find out what is important to them, and then design a
certification plan around that. Asking us isn't going to help.

John R

 
Reply With Quote
 
Boris Badenov
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008

"John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> The new MCTS/MCITP generation of exams (Vista, Server 2008, etc) do not
> grant MCP status. MCP, like MCSA and MCSE will become "out of fashion"
> some day as you say.
>
> MCTS credentials have now been extended. The original announcement was
> that they were good for three years and would have to be renewed.
> Microsoft has changed that now. MCTS credentials will now expire with
> mainstream support for the technology. So, when mainstream support for
> Vista drops, the MCTS related credentials for Vista technologies will
> expire.
>
> XP user experience will indeed not fully prepare you for 70-270 since
> 70-270 is not a user level exam, it is designed to look at XP from a
> system administrator point of view. That is why it is accepted as the
> client side component of MCSA and MCSE. Deployment issues such as sysprep
> and RIS are important to administrators. For user level XP, one should
> consider the MCDST certification tests which are much more user oriented
> (although, as I remember, you did have to have at least an introduction to
> RIS and sysprep for 70-271, but not near as much as 70-270).
>
> I have yet to take 70-620 (yea, I'm being lazy) but I am truly surprised
> that there does not appear to be any deployment objectives in that test,
> at least none on the link I posted above unless I am mis-reading that. I
> guess they can't test *everything*.
>
> Cheers
>
> John R


I appreciate the feedback on this. If I go the Vista/Server 2008 route I
wonder if I will gain enough knowledge to help in the administration of
XP/Server 2003 systems?

Another observation/curiosity: do employers recognize that the MCTS is
equivalent to the MCP and that the MCITP is equivalent to the MCSE?


BTW... Moose and squirrel are fine, but Natasha has run off with Mr. Big.
Does Whatsamat U. have an IT Program?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jtyc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008
> Read the next two sentences of that post.

No. You can't make me.


> They have to find out what is important to them, and then design a
> certification plan around that.


Helps to consider the marketplace though don't you think? What's the
current skill demand?


> Asking us isn't going to help.


Not this crowd...




wait a tic...


 
Reply With Quote
 
John R
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008

"Jtyc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Read the next two sentences of that post.

>
> No. You can't make me.
>


But my friend catwalker can

>
>> They have to find out what is important to them, and then design a
>> certification plan around that.

>
> Helps to consider the marketplace though don't you think? What's the
> current skill demand?
>


You're messing with me, right? You still don't see that I was not
questioning the value of 2003 (in fact, I agree with you), I was pointing
out the contradiction of being interested in MCSE (2003) when 2008 is out
(i.e. pursuing the earlier), and yet questioning if they should take an XP
test when Vista was out (i.e. NOT pursuring the earlier).

>
>> Asking us isn't going to help.

>
> Not this crowd...
>


Agreed ! Wait, I said it first.

John R

 
Reply With Quote
 
John R
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-23-2008

"Boris Badenov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I appreciate the feedback on this. If I go the Vista/Server 2008 route I
> wonder if I will gain enough knowledge to help in the administration of
> XP/Server 2003 systems?
>

Conceptually? Yes, I think so. Point and click wise? Probably not.
However, when your company (and others) are ready to move to Server 2008,
you will be better positioned to lead those kinds of projects.

> Another observation/curiosity: do employers recognize that the MCTS is
> equivalent to the MCP and that the MCITP is equivalent to the MCSE?
>

Your guess is as good as anyones. Microsoft thinks they will value MCTS and
MCITP more than MCP and MCSE. As to equivilent, actually each of the new
certs comes with a sub-title, MCTS - Vista Configuraion, MCITP - System
Administrator, MCITP - Enterprise Administrator, etc etc. By making those
things more explicit, it is thought that employers would have a better
handle on what a person knows and what they don't. Of course, most people
will have a list as long as their arm in a few years, MCTS this, and MCTS
that. Also, by not putting the product name in the cert name, they will
have the same issue with MCITP in the future, (MCITP - Enterprise
Administrator what? 2008, 2013, 2017?)

Right now, someone says they are MCSE, are they MCSE on NT, on 2000, or
2003? If someone says they are MCP, that means they passed one test. One
test in what? SQL, XP, NT, 2000 Pro, ISA, etc. etc. I am very clear when I
post my certifications on something what they are in reference to. I
normally put something like...
MCDST (XP), MCSA (2000), MCSE (2003). I don't even list MCP as it doesn't
say anything important (IMHO). Besides, anyone who knows the current
certification structure would know right away that I have MCP anyway by
simply looking at the others.

>
> BTW... Moose and squirrel are fine, but Natasha has run off with Mr. Big.
> Does Whatsamat U. have an IT Program?
>

Mr. Big always got all the goodies

John R

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linear thinking vs essential thinking optimistx Javascript 4 10-29-2009 04:19 PM
Re: Thinking out loud re: MCSE Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.] MCSE 0 04-23-2008 11:35 PM
Loud Intermitten Beep jagoaw Computer Support 5 04-23-2004 01:52 AM
WHY?!? Why am i thinking i need an SLR, and thinking of going 35mm? Steven C \(Doktersteve\) Digital Photography 13 02-13-2004 08:42 PM
Thinking out loud Chrome Dog Digital Photography 3 02-12-2004 05:41 PM



Advertisments