Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > is there a way to refer to public properties in other user controls

is there a way to refer to public properties in other user controls

Web Search Store

Hello,

I set up a web page with 2 user controls.

In classic asp, the first one did all the declarations, and the second one
used the values, and could reset it.

In ASP.Net so far I can't see how to relate them so this will work.

This user control defines the properties:

<%@ Control ClassName="topdcl" %>

<script language="vb" runat="server">

Private m_addressesstring as String= "adr,phone,zip,"

Public Property addressesstring() As String

Get

Return m_addressesstring

End Get

Set(ByVal value As String)

m_addressesstring = Value

End Set

End Property

Public Sub topdcl1()

addressesstring= "adr,phone,zip,"

End Sub

</script>

This user control tries to access the public property 'addressstring', but
can't:

<%@ Control ClassName="w" %>

<script language="vb" runat="server">

Public Sub w1()

my_topdcl.addressesstring = addressesstring & ",zip"

End Sub

</script>

Here's the page that calls them:

<%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb"
Inherits="_Default" %>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="Utils" TagName="topdcl" Src="utils/topdcl_try.ascx"
%>

<%@ Register TagPrefix="Utils" TagName="w" Src="utils/w_try.ascx" %>

<head runat="server">

<title>Untitled Page</title>

</head>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

</form>

<Utils:topdcl id="My_topdcl" runat="server"/>

<Utils:w id="My_w" runat="server"/>

Here's the code behind for this page:

Handles Me.Load

My_topdcl.topdcl1()

My_w.w1()

End Sub

I would really appreciate any help.

At this point, my only working solution seems to be to combine all the code
into 1 usercontrol, instead of having several. Then variables can refer to
variables in their own class with no problem.

In classic asp, I used includes with all the 'dim' statements in the first,
and the subroutines in later includes.

Thanks.

Scott Baxter.

Teemu Keiski

Using @reference directive
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...5a(VS.80).aspx) makes the
UCs type accessible, although not 100% sure how it would behave in this
situation as they'd (UCs) need to reference each other but you can try.

--
Teemu Keiski
AspInsider, ASP.NET MVP

"Web Search Store" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u4GDlT%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I set up a web page with 2 user controls.
>
> In classic asp, the first one did all the declarations, and the second one
> used the values, and could reset it.
>
> In ASP.Net so far I can't see how to relate them so this will work.
>
> This user control defines the properties:
>

> <%@ Control ClassName="topdcl" %>
>
> <script language="vb" runat="server">
>

> Private m_addressesstring as String= "adr,phone,zip,"
>
> Public Property addressesstring() As String
>

> Get
>
> Return m_addressesstring
>
> End Get
>
> Set(ByVal value As String)
>
> m_addressesstring = Value
>
> End Set
>
> End Property
>

> Public Sub topdcl1()
>

> addressesstring= "adr,phone,zip,"
>

> End Sub
>
> </script>
>

> This user control tries to access the public property 'addressstring', but
> can't:
>

> <%@ Control ClassName="w" %>
>
> <script language="vb" runat="server">
>
> Public Sub w1()
>

> my_topdcl.addressesstring = addressesstring & ",zip"
>

> End Sub
>
> </script>
>

> Here's the page that calls them:
>

> <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb"
> Inherits="_Default" %>
>
> <%@ Register TagPrefix="Utils" TagName="topdcl"
> Src="utils/topdcl_try.ascx" %>
>
> <%@ Register TagPrefix="Utils" TagName="w" Src="utils/w_try.ascx" %>

> <head runat="server">
>
> <title>Untitled Page</title>
>
> </head>

> <form id="form1" runat="server">

> </form>
>

> <Utils:topdcl id="My_topdcl" runat="server"/>
>
> <Utils:w id="My_w" runat="server"/>

> Here's the code behind for this page:

> System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
>
> My_topdcl.topdcl1()
>
> My_w.w1()
>

> End Sub
>
> I would really appreciate any help.
>
> At this point, my only working solution seems to be to combine all the
> code into 1 usercontrol, instead of having several. Then variables can
> refer to variables in their own class with no problem.
>

> In classic asp, I used includes with all the 'dim' statements in the
> first, and the subroutines in later includes.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Scott Baxter.

Web Search Store

Thanks a lot.

I'll read it.

Scott
news:%23SQMCx%(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>
>> <head runat="server">
>>
>> <title>Untitled Page</title>
>>
>> </head>

>> <form id="form1" runat="server">

>> </form>
>>

>> <Utils:topdcl id="My_topdcl" runat="server"/>
>>
>> <Utils:w id="My_w" runat="server"/>

>> Here's the code behind for this page:
>>

>> Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
>> System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load
>>
>> My_topdcl.topdcl1()
>>
>> My_w.w1()
>>

>> End Sub
>>
>> I would really appreciate any help.
>>
>> At this point, my only working solution seems to be to combine all the
>> code into 1 usercontrol, instead of having several. Then variables can
>> refer to variables in their own class with no problem.
>>

>> In classic asp, I used includes with all the 'dim' statements in the
>> first, and the subroutines in later includes.

Stan

On 21 Apr, 20:21, "Web Search Store" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I set up a web page with 2 user controls.
>
> In classic asp, the first one did all the declarations, and the second one
> used the values, and could reset it.
>
> In ASP.Net so far I can't see how to relate them so this will work.
>
> This user control defines the properties:
>
> <%@ Control ClassName="topdcl" %>
>
> <script language="vb" runat="server">
>
> Private m_addressesstring as String= "adr,phone,zip,"
>
> Public Property addressesstring() As String
>
> Get
>
> Return m_addressesstring
>
> End Get
>
> Set(ByVal value As String)
>
> m_addressesstring = Value
>
> End Set
>
> End Property
>
> Public Sub topdcl1()
>
> addressesstring= "adr,phone,zip,"
>
> End Sub
>
> </script>
>
> This user control tries to access the public property 'addressstring', but
> can't:
>
> <%@ Control ClassName="w" %>
>
> <script language="vb" runat="server">
>
> Public Sub w1()
>
> my_topdcl.addressesstring = addressesstring & ",zip"
>
> End Sub
>
> </script>
>
> Here's the page that calls them:
>
> <%@ Page Language="VB" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb"
> Inherits="_Default" %>
>
> <%@ Register TagPrefix="Utils" TagName="topdcl" Src="utils/topdcl_try.ascx"
> %>
>
> <%@ Register TagPrefix="Utils" TagName="w" Src="utils/w_try.ascx" %>

> <head runat="server">
>
> <title>Untitled Page</title>
>
> </head>

> <form id="form1" runat="server">

> </form>
>
> <Utils:topdcl id="My_topdcl" runat="server"/>
>
> <Utils:w id="My_w" runat="server"/>

> Here's the code behind for this page:
>
> Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
> Handles Me.Load
>
> My_topdcl.topdcl1()
>
> My_w.w1()
>
> *End Sub
>
> *I would really appreciate any help.
>
> At this point, my only working solution seems to be to combine all the code
> into 1 usercontrol, instead of having several. *Then variables can refer to
> variables in their own class with no problem.
>
> In classic asp, I used includes with all the 'dim' statements in the first,
> and the subroutines in later includes.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott Baxter.

Dear Scott

Forget classic asp

ASP.NET is an entirely different platform. It is not merely an
extension of ASP and inherits practically nothing from it. VB.NET is
not the same as the VB used in ASP.

If you want re-usable code or global variables that are not integral
to any visual controls then create them in a separate .vb code file
and store it in the APP_CODE folder of the web site. Any namespaces or
classes created there will be within scope of all pages without the
need for include directives.

User controls are for re-usable visual controls and layouts. They are
not designed to act as an application-wide repository for code.
Anything contained within them that is publicly scoped is accessible
only from a host page that contains an instance of it. For example if
a page has an instance of topdcl placed on it (there can be as many of
them as you like) it will have a unique identifier e.g. topdcl1 The
property named "addressesstring" then becomes topdcl1.addressstring.
It will not be accessible from any other user control either within
the same or a different page, furthermore the value is only relevent
to that particular instance of topdcl.

HTH

Web Search Store

Thank you for that insight.

I'll try putting a class in the app_code folder and see if I can get what I
want.

I'm fully aware that classic .asp is a totally different story. I'm just
trying to accomplish what I used to be able to do there.

Anyway. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

Scott
"Stan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

to any visual controls then create them in a separate .vb code file
and store it in the APP_CODE folder of the web site. Any namespaces or
classes created there will be within scope of all pages without the
need for include directives.

User controls are for re-usable visual controls and layouts. They are
not designed to act as an application-wide repository for code.
Anything contained within them that is publicly scoped is accessible
only from a host page that contains an instance of it. For example if
a page has an instance of topdcl placed on it (there can be as many of
them as you like) it will have a unique identifier e.g. topdcl1 The
property named "addressesstring" then becomes topdcl1.addressstring.
It will not be accessible from any other user control either within
the same or a different page, furthermore the value is only relevent

Sorry to be so dense. I have been reading about the App_code folder and
trying to put a class in there with a global variable.

Here's what I have:

in a file globals.vb:

Partial Class allofthem

Public ccc As String = "howdy"

End Class

Then, I rightclicked the project, and added existing item, and added this
file, which is in the app_code folder. But the project doesn't seem to know
about it.

What do I do next? My project didn't have an app_code folder, I created it
manually.

Do I need to put an 'inherit' or import statement in?

any help would be appreciated.

> [...]

to any visual controls then create them in a separate .vb code file
and store it in the APP_CODE folder of the web site. Any namespaces or
classes created there will be within scope of all pages without the
need for include directives.

User controls are for re-usable visual controls and layouts. They are
not designed to act as an application-wide repository for code.
Anything contained within them that is publicly scoped is accessible
only from a host page that contains an instance of it. For example if
a page has an instance of topdcl placed on it (there can be as many of
them as you like) it will have a unique identifier e.g. topdcl1 The
property named "addressesstring" then becomes topdcl1.addressstring.
It will not be accessible from any other user control either within
the same or a different page, furthermore the value is only relevent

Juan T. Llibre

Please follow this walkthrough for using Properties in Class files:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/we4hy2z9.aspx

You don't need to reference the Class file(s).

Make sure you use inline code for that example, whether C# or VB.NET.
There's special rules for using classes in code-behind.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Web Search Store" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> to any visual controls then create them in a separate .vb code file
> and store it in the APP_CODE folder of the web site. Any namespaces or
> classes created there will be within scope of all pages without the
> need for include directives.
>
> User controls are for re-usable visual controls and layouts. They are
> not designed to act as an application-wide repository for code.
> Anything contained within them that is publicly scoped is accessible
> only from a host page that contains an instance of it. For example if
> a page has an instance of topdcl placed on it (there can be as many of
> them as you like) it will have a unique identifier e.g. topdcl1 The
> property named "addressesstring" then becomes topdcl1.addressstring.
> It will not be accessible from any other user control either within
> the same or a different page, furthermore the value is only relevent

Stan

On 22 Apr, 21:03, "Web Search Store" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry to be so dense. *I have been reading about the App_code folder and
> trying to put a class in there with a global variable.
>
> Here's what I have:
>
> in a file globals.vb:
>
> Partial Class allofthem
>
> Public ccc As String = "howdy"
>
> End Class
>
> Then, I rightclicked the project, and added existing item, and added this
> file, which is in the app_code folder. *But the project doesn't seem to know
> about it.
>
> What do I do next? *My project didn't have an app_code folder, I created it
> manually.
>
> Do I need to put an 'inherit' or import statement in?
>
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> scott

Hi

I've tried the same scenario as you and in the same manner but
everything seems to work fine. (There is no need for any specific
import or inherit statement)

Just as a check. Did you create an ordinary web page and try some code
along the following lines (in say the Page_Load event):

Dim aot As New allofthem
Response.Write(aot.ccc)

BTW the App_Code folder can be added to the site by right-clicking the
root of the site in Solution Explorer and choosing the option:

"Add ASP.NET folder" --> App_Code

One other tip. If you add the modifier "Shared" there is no need to
create an instance of the class to access publicly scoped variables
e.g.

Public Shared AString = "some text"

Then the content of Astring can be accesses in one line thus:

Response.Write(allofthem.AString)

Stan

Stan

Hello again:

I've just spotted the mistake.

Your class declaration needs to have the "public" attribute as well
thus:

Public Class allofthem

Stan

(P.S. the attribute "Partial" is to allow Class code to be spread over
more than one file.)

Web Search Store

Thanks.

I'll try what you have said.