Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dropped internet connection

dropped internet connection

hackandtack

hi
when I have been connected to the internet for a couple of hours I keep
losing my connection.if I look at the computer icon in the system tray it
looks as if I am still connected, but there is no data movement.if I
disconnect using this and try to reconnect I can't, however if I restart the
computer and reconnect everything if fine for another couple of hours
(sometimes less or more).
I am using xp pro, internet explorer, and my broadband provider is tiscali.
I live quite some distance from the exchange, according to the tiscali help
line.I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem (speedtouch)
any help or ides how to cure this problem would be much appreciated.
cheers

--
hackandtack
remove both "yourteeth" to reply

Whiskers

On 2008-04-20, hackandtack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi
> when I have been connected to the internet for a couple of hours I keep
> losing my connection.if I look at the computer icon in the system tray it
> looks as if I am still connected, but there is no data movement.if I
> disconnect using this and try to reconnect I can't, however if I restart the
> computer and reconnect everything if fine for another couple of hours
> (sometimes less or more).
> I am using xp pro, internet explorer, and my broadband provider is tiscali.
> I live quite some distance from the exchange, according to the tiscali help
> line.I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem (speedtouch)
> any help or ides how to cure this problem would be much appreciated.
> cheers

How well do voice telephone calls work on that telephone line? If they
have 'noise' then the line could be faulty. Disconnect everything
attached to your telephone system and use one non-cordless telephone to
make a few calls to see if the noise is still there; if it is, then
consider calling your telephone company to complain - if they test the
line from 'their' end and claim there's nothing wrong, you can insist that
they send someone to check from 'your' end (but beware that if they detect
that the problem is caused by any of your equipment, including extension
leads and computer stuff, they can ask you to pay a call-out charge).

If the one-basic-phone-only test shows no noise on the line, start adding
in your own equipment one thing at a time until the voice calls get noisy;
that should help to pinpoint the source of the trouble. One likely
culprit is the 'DSL filter' - they can easily go wrong.

If there are no audible faults on the telephone line, then you need to
consider the connection from your computer to the 'modem', and the
connection from the 'modem' to the phone socket, and the computer and
'modem' themselves.

I suspect that some Windows systems might behave oddly if they have a
broadband connection but some software (such as an email program) is set
up to try to establish a 'new connection' at regular intervals.

Once you're convinced that your own equipment is not at fault, then you
can start to blame the ISP with some confidence.

--
-- Whiskers

hackandtack

thanks for advice.
there is no noise on line so I will try replacing filters and cables.
cheers
news:480b9575$(E-Mail Removed)...