Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: New computer buying anxiety ( angst?)

Re: New computer buying anxiety ( angst?)

catchme

Sarah Houston wrote:
> I have this 6 or 7 year old box with an AMD XP 1.6 ( actually 1.4 GHz )
> and I think a 266 Mhz bus, 512 megs RAM and a 40 GB drive ( two
> actually, one on a plug port in front for backup ), and USB1, running XP
> Home Edition with all the updates.
>
> As I mentioned here recently, it looks like the RAM is topped out now.
> Using 85-90% on average, of it, accoring to the little Freemeter I put
> in the tray the other day.
>
> AND it doesn't have a DVD at all, just CDROM burner, so I can't even
> upgrade from Streets & Trips 2006 ( which was the last one on CDROM )
> for my work routing.
>
> I also want to get into a DVD camcorder and be able to do video editing
> and rerecording with the computer, so I need much bigger drives.
>
> And don't they have really small plug in hard drives now ( what do they
> call them? Thumb drives or something? ), so you can use those for
> backups and just put them in a safe deposit box or something?
>
> I use it for all my work anyway, so replacing it can at least be a
> business expense.
>
> But I'm feeling some anxiety about how to get my entire computing life
> since 1987, which is on this computer, everything I've ever written and
> my whole small business, into a new one.
>
> I see that Dell is selling some kinds of transfer cables with their new
> systems, for a few extra bucks. Is that a way of transferring everything
> from old box to new?
>
> I probably want to get the new one with Vista, though I haven't even
> seen it yet, right?
>
> Then reinstall all my software and just transfer the data files somehow?
>
> I mean if the new system is Vista, I can't just dump the old hard drive
> onto a new bigger one, can I?

i would read up on the trade journals about vista, before you made up
your mind getting it.
not that you have any choice over the matter- vista is automatically
installed on almost all "complete" systems (you might still find a shop
who will assemble a computer for you according to your specs, and
install xp), and linux might require developing a whole new skill set
(like using command line to hack into your gui), but theres still mac....

--
To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
Resist much, obey little,

-Walt Whitman, 1860

thanatoid

Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:250420081637303281%(E-Mail Removed):

Top-Posted Intro:
This has beaten to death more times than Christians, Muslims,
etc. have raised sticks or swords against "infidels" in all
recorded history, but anyway... It's a slow night and I'm trying
to forget the particularly unpleasant day I had to endure.

> In article
> <Xns9A8B24BC590SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 >, Sarah
> Houston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yes, with MAC I could pay double what a Win PC would cost
>> me, and then have to buy all new software for it. What a
>> thrill.

> Yes; go out and buy a complete new system with everything.
> Everyone knows Microsoft makes he best of everything, and
> everyone surely must be happy with whatever their hot new
> OS is.

I understand "where you're coming from", but even people who
consciously choose Windows know that this statement is not true.
And neither is it true for Macs. BTW, you DO know MS owns a fair
amount of Apple stock (some claim it saved them from bankruptcy
once) and cooperates with them extensively?

> And you will surely save money, even though you'll
> have to upgrade parts routinely

Why? This machine is 10 yrs old and the only upgrades were new
hard drives (I had a bad streak of HD mortality for a couple of
years a while back) and a CD-R drive (it came with just a
player). And are you saying NO Mac has EVER had a part
malfunction? The iMacs' keyboards were pretty (as all Mac stuff
is), but laughably flimsy. And what's with the ONE mouse button?
We have 5 fingers! [Not to mention it was all stolen from Xerox
PARC so all the whining about how Windows stole the GUI from
Apple is the definition of hypocrisy.]

> and will spend more on the
> OS and software than on another machine.

Ever heard of freeware? Most programs I use are freeware and
they are better than $200-$800 Adobe or MS ripoffs - for Windows
OR for the Mac. And Mac software is /probably/ more expensive
since there is a LOT less of it sold and it is made by a
monopoly, as is the hardware - I trust we will not enter into an
argument about Mac HARDWARE being CHEAPER.

(I don't /know/ this, but I assume. I use mostly older programs
and freeware and I only had a Mac for a couple of months 10
years ago. I never bought any software beyond the OS that came
on it (7.5 I think), found out it crashed just like Windows did,
found the interface, single button mouse and the command key
most irritating, and the inability to get inside the OS very
frustrating, so I got rid of it.)

AFAIK, a brand new shrinkwrapped latest version of a MAC OS
costs about the same as the top Vista version - of course anyone
who buys Vista should be institutionalized, but that is not the
argument here.

> Yep, I'm pretty sure that everyone is using Vista with all
> features on that 486 chip that Microsoft said would work
> fine.

Huh? Intel and MS made a formerly-secret deal to allow Intel to
sell vast amounts of overstocked motherboards and chipsets which
were NOT capable of fully supporting Vista, which accounts for a
large part of the nightmare stories, but I do not believe ANYONE
has ever said that Vista or even XP will run on a 486 chip.

> Very few people ever upgrade RAM in their Windows
> boxes; they're all using 256 or 512 MB.

Computers are no longer computers, they have become
entertainment appliances. Most people are sheep and believe what
they are told by salespeople and buy what they are told to buy.
99% of everything they hear are lies or at best halftruths.

256MB is more than enough to run all pre-XP Windows and 512MB is
enough to run XP. /If/ you know how to configure your machine so
70% of your RAM isn't constantly used by assorted MS "helpshit"
etc.

> Video cards are
> immaterial; you can get by with a regular 2 MB card from
> years ago.

Most people, unless they are demented gamers, doing professional
pre-press or video work in 1600x2400 (or something) resolution,
or like to work on 5Kx8K pixel TIFFs, can get by with 2MBs of
video just fine.

> No one has to get a bigger drive for those
> machines; that 40 GB will be fine.

People who get the "Just-released! Groovier than ever! You will
NEVER go bald if you use it and you will type 50 times faster!"
30 MB version of a program which now runs 5 times slower and is
buggier than the 5-year old version (which was 2 MB and did
everything anyone could ask for) are morons. Unfortunately, that
means most consumers - Mac OR Windows.

People who use well-written compact programs and who are NOT
editing feature films nor like to store tens of thousands of
hours of music on their (failure-prone) HD's (AOT CD-R's or DVD-
R's) do NOT need 500GB drives. Just like no home user /needs/ a
3GHz dual core processor. But because they have money and the
magazines and salespeople tell them it's a must-have, they get
them. To send pictures of their kids to their uncles via
webmail.

FWIW, this machine has an 8.4 GB drive with 7 partitions, my
other machine is a 2GHz with 256MB of RAM and a 40GB drive with
16 partitions, and I need nothing else. And ANY of the just-
mentioned partitions defrag in less than a minute each. How long
did it take YOU to defrag YOUR (I am guessing, single) partition
last time you tried? (Sorry, I just realized I don't know
anything about Mac partitions or defragging, or if it is even
necessary. I guess I am talking to the "is it out yet?" Windows
crowd here.)

> We would only have to buy software if we bought Mac, too.

For the vast majority of users, what comes included with Windows
as well as what comes included with the Mac OS is absolutely
enough. Regrettably, most people are so clueless they don't even
KNOW there are perfectly adequate image and word processors
included with the OS. The fact EVERYONE who has a computer -
Windows OR Mac - thinks s/he MUST have MS Office as well is the
most ridiculous thing in the entire history of the human race
and a testimony to the evil genius of MS marketers. I am
absolutely convinced there is not ONE person in the world who is
both aware of and /able to use/ ***EVERY*** feature of the
/entire/ MS Office Professional suite, i.e. all 5 (or 6, I
forget) programs. In fact I doubt there are many who know
EVERYTHING about Word, not to mention most people use it to do
what they could do in Notepad (if they knew of its existence)
which is where my argument started.

> Certainly no one using Windows has to pay for anything, but
> if you go Mac you'll certainly end up buying huge amounts
> of software, regularly.

Let's not get silly, see above. Still, if you want to do
professional music or video editing, you will probably have to
get a professional program whatever platform you use, although
Apple's Garage Band sounds pretty great and Windows apparently
now includes a basic "movie" editor.

> Windows hasn't got any hidden
> costs, either. It always works, no one ever has any down
> time, device conflicts are almost unheard-of, and crashes
> and freezes weren't made infamous by Windows. You'll never
> think of drivers, updating, or running utilities. You can
> always assume you're safe from all kinds of malware -- no
> one has ever had a virus or spyware on anything Windows.

I have been running Windows for over 15 years, and I have gotten
ONE virus ever - in an email from an idiot friend. It couldn't
/do/ anything because my machine is tweaked for total safety,
but it was still a PITA to get rid of the files. And I am
nowhere near an expert.

If Mac had the 90%+ market share, there would be as many viruses
for Macs as there are now for Windows. And there ARE viruses for
Macs.

As for things breaking, EVERYTHING breaks, sooner or later.
Especially anything made in the last 25 years. I have a compact
folding (from 15" to 5 feet) German camera tripod from the
1930's and it will last (and work perfectly) FOREVER. Those days
are OVER. "Made in China".

As for "designed for the technologically-impaired" yes, Macs are
somewhat simpler to use (but the difference has decreased
/greatly/ in the last 15 years). But that is not proof of
superiority, see below. And Macs DO crash. Everything does.
Cars, dishes, and computers of ANY make.

> That must be the other guys. It's a good thing we all saved
> so much money on hardware and software. Because certainly
> it's Windows that is known for great use in image editing,
> publishing, movie/video/media production, and music.

Cool Edit Pro, at one time considered by many to be THE best
multitrack audio editor for any platform, was originally only
available for Windows. After Adobe "disappeared" Syntrillium and
renamed the program Audition, I imagine they also made a Mac
version. There were programs for Macs only and there were
programs for Windows only 10-15 years ago. With some exceptions
(like Garage Band) there is NO practical difference anymore,
except for the fact that many creative people lack the brain
extensions needed to cope with technology (like the formerly
less "simpleton-oriented" Windows OS) and for that reason always
preferred Macs which never presented them with the utterly
baffling and unfathomable command prompt but also never gave
them the option to seriously tweak their machine to their
liking.

A 5 year child could probably do almost anything on a Mac, but I
do not believe that alone constitutes a proof of superiority.
Not to mention 5 year old children should be outside playing in
the fresh air, while there is still some around.

--
Of course, it is no easy matter to be polite; in so far, I mean,
as it requires us to show great respect for everybody, whereas

- Arthur Schopenhauer

catchme

thanatoid wrote:
> Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:250420081637303281%(E-Mail Removed):
>
> Top-Posted Intro:
> This has beaten to death more times than Christians, Muslims,
> etc. have raised sticks or swords against "infidels" in all
> recorded history, but anyway... It's a slow night and I'm trying
> to forget the particularly unpleasant day I had to endure.
>
>> In article
>> <Xns9A8B24BC590SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 >, Sarah
>> Houston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, with MAC I could pay double what a Win PC would cost
>>> me, and then have to buy all new software for it. What a
>>> thrill.

>> Yes; go out and buy a complete new system with everything.
>> Everyone knows Microsoft makes he best of everything, and
>> everyone surely must be happy with whatever their hot new
>> OS is.

> I understand "where you're coming from", but even people who
> consciously choose Windows know that this statement is not true.
> And neither is it true for Macs. BTW, you DO know MS owns a fair
> amount of Apple stock (some claim it saved them from bankruptcy
> once) and cooperates with them extensively?

court ordered, over some lawsuit where microsoft engaged in unfair
business practices.
there was also a stipulation that apple and microsoft had to share
technology for some years, which DID lead to a few shared standards.

>> And you will surely save money, even though you'll
>> have to upgrade parts routinely

> Why? This machine is 10? yrs old and the only upgrades were new
> hard drives (I had a bad streak of HD mortality for a couple of
> years a while back) and a CD-R drive (it came with just a
> player). And are you saying NO Mac has EVER had a part
> malfunction? The iMacs' keyboards were pretty (as all Mac stuff
> is), but laughably flimsy. And what's with the ONE mouse button?
> We have 5 fingers! [Not to mention it was all stolen from Xerox
> PARC so all the whining about how Windows stole the GUI from
> Apple is the definition of hypocrisy.]

Jobs borrowed the IDEA from Xerox, whereas some time after Gates decided
to stop writing software for Apple they still had an agreeement where
Gates could still pop in anytime.
Gates took advantage of this trust (several Anti-trust lawsuits
followed) to steal several lines of code (i.e. plagiarism) which were
used not to write software FOR mac, but rather to implement in a
competing o/s.
but yes it makes the whole thing bizarre when one recounts that Jobs,
Woz. and Gates were all involved in various mischief hacking phone
companies, getting involved with Iranian terrorists, etc.
and we thought techno-geeks were boring...?

>> and will spend more on the
>> OS and software than on another machine.

> Ever heard of freeware? Most programs I use are freeware and
> they are better than $200-$800 Adobe or MS ripoffs - for Windows
> OR for the Mac. And Mac software is /probably/ more expensive
> since there is a LOT less of it sold and it is made by a
> monopoly, as is the hardware - I trust we will not enter into an
> argument about Mac HARDWARE being CHEAPER.

thankfully there is a large TRUSTED number of people making free or
shareware for mac. and linux- whereas one may find some software for
windows, much tend to be extremely buggy, even virus ridden....
mac hardware is certainly not cheaper, but definitely well-chosen to run
cohesively.
the main issue i've had with macs is that they usually ship with
insufficient RAM, going by last year's requirements rather than looking
forward to what next year's software (i.e. the next o/s/ release) would
require.

> (I don't /know/ this, but I assume. I use mostly older programs
> and freeware and I only had a Mac for a couple of months 10
> years ago. I never bought any software beyond the OS that came
> on it (7.5 I think), found out it crashed just like Windows did,
> found the interface, single button mouse and the command key
> most irritating, and the inability to get inside the OS very
> frustrating, so I got rid of it.)

o/s 7.5.x was the albatross that nearly killed apple namely that the o/s
had a lot of issues, the first being that there were so many different
versions of 7.5, many which only ran on certain computers sold to
certain retailers (i.e. certain performas that were only sold to Sears
or FutureShop).
some required patch updates to run properly, apparently they mismatched
the ROM with the o/s version upon shipping
further more was the issue of extension conflicts, etc. (many mac users
never bothered to use their extension manager which was designed to fix
this problem) which were cleaned up in o/s 7.6 and 8, and nearly
disappeared completely in 8.1.
7.6 through 8.1 had extension faults only where third party software
(i.e. shareware) were concerned, where their application extensions
would sometimes conflict with certain others.
one infamous app.- conflict catcher- which purpose was to CATCH the
conflicts, installed extensions which CAUSED conflicts with the system!
np- if one used the trial version, simply uninstall upon restart
(holding down the shift key to disable extensions)
this was cleaned up on the free update to 7.6 for the machines running
68030 processors (apparently the 020's had to rely on the 7.5.5) and
above, or buy into o/s 8 for 68040 to first generation powermacs (601
and 603 processor) and the o/s 8 update (8.1) for powerPC running 601,
603 or 604 processors.

> A 5 year child could probably do almost anything on a Mac, but I
> do not believe that alone constitutes a proof of superiority.
> Not to mention 5 year old children should be outside playing in
> the fresh air, while there is still some around.

if an o/s is not easy to use, does not follow elegant design principles,
especially after over thirty years experience, then there is something
wrong.
all of our electonics have microprocessors in them, running an embedded
o/s in its ROM.
if the majority of these electronics had interfaces that we could not
understand, then we would have poor engineers designing the hardware and
software to cohesively communicate their functions to the hands of
consumers.

--

Sarah Houston wrote:
> Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> In article <Xns9A8B24BC590SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 >, Sarah
>> Houston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, with MAC I could pay double what a Win PC would cost me, and

> then
>>> have to buy all new software for it. What a thrill.

>> Oh.
>> Here, I thought you hadn't already decided what the answer was going

>> be. You've got your mind made up, so silly things like facts and
>> recommendations aren't so damn important.

> Cost sure is.
>
>> Yes; go out and buy a complete new system with everything.
>> Everyone knows Microsoft makes he best of everything,

> What's their market share? About 85%?
>
> I wonder why, being people are free to choose, and all?
>
>> and everyone
>> surely must be happy with whatever their hot new OS is. And you will
>> surely save money, even though you'll have to upgrade parts routinely
>> and will spend more on the OS and software than on another machine.

> Well I'm just not into using DOS-like systems anymore. ( Linux? )
>
> With Mac, I'd have to learn computing all over again from scratch, being
> I started with MSDOS around 1987 and moved into Win since then.
>
> If Vista reeks, fine, I can get the latest XP on a new machine.
>
> MS usually manages to fix up an OS by at least the time the next
> generation comes out, so Vista might be fine by the time "Sierra" ( or
> whatever they plan on calling it ) comes out.
>
>> Yep, I'm pretty sure that everyone is using Vista with all features on
>> that 486 chip that Microsoft said would work fine.

> Hey nobody's perfect.
>
>> Very few people ever
>> upgrade RAM in their Windows boxes; they're all using 256 or 512 MB.

> Times and software change. Bloat happens.
> ( looking down at my 60 year old waist )
>
>> Video cards are immaterial; you can get by with a regular 2 MB card
>> from years ago. No one has to get a bigger drive for those machines;
>> that 40 GB will be fine.

> Technology marches on, get over it. Or get on with it?
>
> I remember seeing the first Macs, with their monochrome aqua screens.
> They're color now, and require more memory than 256k, right?

well i still have my mac classic (8mhz 68000, 256k- no hard drive).
it is running MS Word v. 1.411r2
(Windows was just a dream to Gates then)
it still runs, and i probably can get it hooked up to read newsgroups
and old-school bbs via 14.4 dial-up.
17 years old and still runs like the very day she was born, no usage
creep, nothing.

William Poaster

Quoting Sarah Houston who, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 02:22:23 -0500, posted:

> Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>> In article <Xns9A8B24BC590SntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196.97.142 >, Sarah
>> Houston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, with MAC I could pay double what a Win PC would cost me, and

> then
>>> have to buy all new software for it. What a thrill.

>> Oh.
>> Here, I thought you hadn't already decided what the answer was going

>> be. You've got your mind made up, so silly things like facts and
>> recommendations aren't so damn important.

> Cost sure is.
>
>> Yes; go out and buy a complete new system with everything. Everyone
>> knows Microsoft makes he best of everything,

> What's their market share? About 85%?
>
> I wonder why, being people are free to choose, and all?
>
>> and everyone
>> surely must be happy with whatever their hot new OS is. And you will
>> surely save money, even though you'll have to upgrade parts routinely
>> and will spend more on the OS and software than on another machine.

> Well I'm just not into using DOS-like systems anymore. ( Linux? )

And the last time you tried a linux system was............??

<snip>

--
This message was sent from a
computer which is guaranteed

thanatoid

Sarah Houston <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9A8CE1178BE5DSntzldfrdSntzldfrdco@216.196. 97.142:

> thanatoid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
>>> and will spend more on the
>>> OS and software than on another machine.

>> Ever heard of freeware? Most programs I use are freeware
>> and they are better than $200-$800 Adobe or MS ripoffs -
>> for Windows OR for the Mac.

> I've been using Open Office by Sun Microsystems, as a
> freeware alternative to MS Office Pro. For what I need, it
> works fine.

So would this, I bet:
http://www.xtort.net/office-and-prod...floppy-office/

> Speaking of Adobe though, is there a decent freeware
> equivalent for Acrobat 8 Pro out there? Even if it just
> cost a lot less, but would do the same things equally as
> well?

Acrobat reads AND makes/edits PDF's, and one other thing IIRC.
FoxIt reader is free, and for making PDF's I use my old
PageMaker and Paperless Printer (which I believe has disappeared
since I was lucky enough to grab it - it was FREE for non-profit
home use, too, as ALL software should be).

>> And Mac software is /probably/ more expensive
>> since there is a LOT less of it sold and it is made by a
>> monopoly, as is the hardware -

> It sure USED to cost more, the last time I looked at it.

I've never looked at Mac hardware or software pricing. It is
totally irrelevant to my life. I just look at the nice design.
Some people claim beauty is on the inside - I am sure the inside
of Macs is much nicer than the inside of PC's, too.

<SNIP>

>> 256MB is more than enough to run all pre-XP Windows and
>> 512MB is enough to run XP. /If/ you know how to configure
>> your machine so 70% of your RAM isn't constantly used by
>> assorted MS "helpshit" etc.

> Do tell.
>
> I have Seamonkey tying up 172 megs at the moment.

That is straight out of the Twilight Zone. See my other post for
a longer comment.

--

William Poaster wrote:

> And the last time you tried a linux system was............??
>
> <snip>

this is linux's biggest weakness, and all linux advocates should take
note- whether it is easy to use linux or not, the need to remember or
input some command lines to run linux on certain hardware can be an
intimidating factor for those who simply "use" computers without having
to get into its nuts and bolts.
when i think of how many people dont want to do even the barest reading
on how their computer works but instead part with 75. and parts to some
teenager to "fix" their pc, only for me to come around and find that the
solution is ridiculously simple.....
i could then *almost* call myself a pro!
its like the beginning driver in a car who doesnt want to know HOW it
works, only that once you turn the key it will start.
spark plugs, gas and brake liners? leave that to the experts.
--
To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
Resist much, obey little,
Once unquestioning obedience, once fully enslaved,
Once fully enslaved, no nation, state, city of this earth,
ever after-ward resumes its liberty.

-Walt Whitman, 1860

William Poaster

Quoting catchme who, on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:09:31 +0000, posted:

> William Poaster wrote:
>

>> And the last time you tried a linux system was............??
>>
>> <snip>
>>

> this is linux's biggest weakness, and all linux advocates should take
> note- whether it is easy to use linux or not, the need to remember or
> input some command lines to run linux on certain hardware can be an
> intimidating factor for those who simply "use" computers without having to
> get into its nuts and bolts.

And which hardware would this be?

--
This message was sent from a
computer which is guaranteed
100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
-- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

Mara

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:37:16 +0100, William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)64.eu>
wrote:

>Quoting catchme who, on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:09:31 +0000, posted:
>
>> William Poaster wrote:
>>

>>> And the last time you tried a linux system was............??
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>> this is linux's biggest weakness, and all linux advocates should take
>> note- whether it is easy to use linux or not, the need to remember or
>> input some command lines to run linux on certain hardware can be an
>> intimidating factor for those who simply "use" computers without having to
>> get into its nuts and bolts.

>And which hardware would this be?

Command line? What's that?

This is like not knowing how a lawn mower works, and then sticking your foot
under it to see what happens - and then blaming your lawn mower for it.

Doesn't quite work, but I see it all the time.

--
False friends are worst than bitter enemies.
--Scottish proverb

William Poaster

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:03:39 -0500, Mara wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:37:16 +0100, William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)64.eu>
> wrote:
>
>>Quoting catchme who, on Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:09:31 +0000, posted:

>>> this is linux's biggest weakness, and all linux advocates should take
>>> note- whether it is easy to use linux or not, the need to remember or
>>> input some command lines to run linux on certain hardware can be an
>>> intimidating factor for those who simply "use" computers without having to
>>> get into its nuts and bolts.

>>And which hardware would this be?

> Command line? What's that?

I know *what* it is, but it's the "the need to remember or input some
command lines to run linux on certain hardware" I'm puzzled about. Over
the years, I've installed dozens of different distributions on all kinds
of machines, & not had to bother about "command lines".

> This is like not knowing how a lawn mower works, and then sticking your foot
> under it to see what happens - and then blaming your lawn mower for it.
>
> Doesn't quite work, but I see it all the time.

I suppose you do.