Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Why Do Favorites in Media Player Open In Internet Explorer

Why Do Favorites in Media Player Open In Internet Explorer

burtoluc@arbornet.org

I can't figure out the root of this problem concerning Media Player
6.4 that I continue to prefer over the latest ones for watching
streaming video. I'm using it with XP Pro on an X31 Thinkpad.

The problem is that if you save a bookmark (favorite on the toolbar)
with an mms:// URL, when you try to play the URL from the favorites it
opens in MSIE with a URL that looks like http://%22mms//cnn.com/etc

These URLs usually don't have an extention. They often end with
reflector:123456 .

The weird thing is that if you open that mms URL any place else it
correctly opens in Media Player 6.4. That is of you click on the
shortcut file in the Favorites folder for an mms:// URL or paste the
URL in "RUN' or drag the shortcut file into the player or type the
URL in the Open Url dialogue of the player--- the stream opens in the
player.

It's only when you click on the favorites drop down on the toolbar of
the player that it opens in MSIE.

I've looked in the registry for an answer but haven't found it.
Would anyone know why this is happening?

I already have gotten the Classic Media Player which looks just like
the MS 6.4 player. Its favorites work correctly, and it has more
features but is still as lightweight as the 6.4 player.

I'd just like to know why it is doing this.