Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Spring flowers in my yard

Re: Spring flowers in my yard

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Troy Piggins wrote:
>> * Cynicor wrote:
>>> Just a few shots of the local flora.
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/4754018_NrFaF

>> Very nice. Never seen a daffodil those colours before.

> There are some incredible daffodils available.
> http://www.web-ster.com/havensr/mitsch/garden.html

Notice that all of those photos show the whole flower in focus?

Take a browse through here:
http://www.ronvandongen.com/index.php

Paul Furman

Cynicor wrote:
> N wrote:
>> Cynicor wrote

>>> There are some incredible daffodils available.
>>> http://www.web-ster.com/havensr/mitsch/garden.html

>> Notice that all of those photos show the whole flower in focus?

> Yeah, and they're trying to sell the flowers. I'm just creating a bunch
> of crappy semi-abstracts. If I were shooting for a catalog I'd switch
> lenses and back up.

I shoot flowers for an online catalog and I generally use as shallow of
a DOF as I can get away with. It's more moody and softens the
background, just like human portraiture. The Daffodil examples are shot
against a solid background.

>> Take a browse through here:
>> http://www.ronvandongen.com/index.php

Nice. Oh, those have solid backgrounds and shallow DOF! One thing is the
shallow DOF shots have the sharp part in the foreground, which generally
works better, like this one:
http://www.ronvandongen.com/image_de...id=color_flora
or Cynicor's Magnolia, which is my favorite:
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/47...81799712_XJWfk
The second shot has too much DOF & a distracting background:
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/47...81740241_J9Hpm

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>N wrote:
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

>>> There are some incredible daffodils available.
>>> http://www.web-ster.com/havensr/mitsch/garden.html

>> Notice that all of those photos show the whole flower in focus?

> Yeah, and they're trying to sell the flowers. I'm just creating a bunch of
> crappy semi-abstracts. If I were shooting for a catalog I'd switch lenses
> and back up.
>
>> Take a browse through here:
>> http://www.ronvandongen.com/index.php

> You take these?

No, if I were that good, I wouldn't be here using a single letter as an
identity.