Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > static route to direct to ISP possible ?

Reply
Thread Tools

static route to direct to ISP possible ?

 
 
-keevill-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2008
Here's my setup in my office/internet cafe.
I have 2 ISP's ( we need redundancy here ) each one connected via ADSL
modem/routers.
One router configured on our LAN with ip 192.168.0.250 and the other one
192.168.0.1. The latter is the 'main' ISP.
From this router a RJ45 lan cable plugged into the LAN port feeds another
Wireless/Router in the Internet cafe in the lower floors.
From this router in turn is another lan cable which feeds a second wireless
router in the cafe to give full coverage.
Only 1 dchp server runs on the main adsl modem router ( 192.168.0.1 ).
Office computers have fixed IP's and cafe customers obtain dynamic IP's from
this router upstairs.
They do not connect directly to this router as they cannot quite reach it
wirelessly.
THerefore they connect to either of the ones in cafe and the IP addresses
are discovered via the router/dhcp server upstairs.
It generally works well.
I would like to be able to find a way to steer customers to either ISP
according to which one is working better.
I have tried to use a static route setting in each of the cafe wireless
routers , one configured to 'point' to ISP A and the other to point to ISP
B.
I made an entry like this.

Index Network Address Subnet Mask Gateway
1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.250

But it does not seem to work. If I do a tracert I can see that the connected
pc connects to the internet via the other ISP on the 192.168.0.1 IP.
Of course I can force it by just giving a fixed IP and gateway on the
customers machines but I prefer to tell customers to connect to a particular
access point which would automatically route them to the Internet on the
approp ISP>
Is a static route entry the right way to go about this ? I just guessed it.

Hope this is clear.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2008
I would use Dual WAN router. That doesn't only give you redundancy but also
increase the speed. Check this link for more details.

What's Dual WAN or Load Balance RouterA Dual WAN router or called Load
Balance Router allows a router to use multiple paths to a destination when
forwarding packets. With the ability to connect ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/whati...wanrouter1.htm


--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"-keevill-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's my setup in my office/internet cafe.
> I have 2 ISP's ( we need redundancy here ) each one connected via ADSL
> modem/routers.
> One router configured on our LAN with ip 192.168.0.250 and the other one
> 192.168.0.1. The latter is the 'main' ISP.
> From this router a RJ45 lan cable plugged into the LAN port feeds another
> Wireless/Router in the Internet cafe in the lower floors.
> From this router in turn is another lan cable which feeds a second
> wireless router in the cafe to give full coverage.
> Only 1 dchp server runs on the main adsl modem router ( 192.168.0.1 ).
> Office computers have fixed IP's and cafe customers obtain dynamic IP's
> from this router upstairs.
> They do not connect directly to this router as they cannot quite reach it
> wirelessly.
> THerefore they connect to either of the ones in cafe and the IP addresses
> are discovered via the router/dhcp server upstairs.
> It generally works well.
> I would like to be able to find a way to steer customers to either ISP
> according to which one is working better.
> I have tried to use a static route setting in each of the cafe wireless
> routers , one configured to 'point' to ISP A and the other to point to ISP
> B.
> I made an entry like this.
>
> Index Network Address Subnet Mask Gateway
> 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.250
>
> But it does not seem to work. If I do a tracert I can see that the
> connected pc connects to the internet via the other ISP on the 192.168.0.1
> IP.
> Of course I can force it by just giving a fixed IP and gateway on the
> customers machines but I prefer to tell customers to connect to a
> particular access point which would automatically route them to the
> Internet on the approp ISP>
> Is a static route entry the right way to go about this ? I just guessed
> it.
>
> Hope this is clear.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-keevill-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2008

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would use Dual WAN router. That doesn't only give you redundancy but also
>increase the speed. Check this link for more details.
>
> What's Dual WAN or Load Balance RouterA Dual WAN router or called Load
> Balance Router allows a router to use multiple paths to a destination when
> forwarding packets. With the ability to connect ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/whati...wanrouter1.htm
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com


So I can't do it using settings on the routers ??
-keevill-


 
Reply With Quote
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2008
It is completely complex to use two router so it is easier / faster to manage
to do this with a single router with the Dual WAN option. Windows XP likes to
use one gateway and you do not seem to have a single central point that you
network is using. This could be done with adding a central access server.

On 19/04/2008 "-keevill-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would use Dual WAN router. That doesn't only give you redundancy but also
>>increase the speed. Check this link for more details.
>>
>> What's Dual WAN or Load Balance RouterA Dual WAN router or called Load
>> Balance Router allows a router to use multiple paths to a destination when
>> forwarding packets. With the ability to connect ...
>> http://www.howtonetworking.com/whati...wanrouter1.htm
>>
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

>
>So I can't do it using settings on the routers ??
>-keevill-
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
question for static route -- default route bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk Cisco 1 04-01-2009 11:27 AM
question for static route -- default route bensonlei@yahoo.com.hk Cisco 0 04-01-2009 04:04 AM
What is the default precedence: local-route, static-route,OSPF-route? ilan.berco@gmail.com Cisco 9 08-07-2008 05:42 PM
Need to route SMTP traffic through static interface (not default route) perimere Cisco 0 03-27-2007 09:19 PM
Can netwrok run static route and dynamic route the same time? Bruce Cao Cisco 3 12-06-2005 02:15 AM



Advertisments