Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > adding extra hard drives question

adding extra hard drives question

Hp

I am exploring information about using a PCI card to add extra
hard drives to a PC that only has one IDE connector.
if one used a plugin card, would the attached drives be usable
before an operating system is added, like maybe optical
drives?
Could a hard drive plugged into the add on card be used as the
"C" drive and bootable??

thanks

Hp

ok got the info

MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 Motherboard is the subject motherboard,
it only has a single IDE socket = 2 drives,

Mike Easter wrote:

> Hp wrote:
> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:13:07 -0500

> Voluntary courtesy clock police report.

> EDT = Eastern (US) daylight time = UTC offset -0400

> Your newsserver stamped your message correctly at about 18:13 UTC. Your
> computer's clock caused your Date stamp to be incorrect saying about
> 19:13 UTC, a time currently in the future.

The 'clock' problem you are noting is NOT something that is OFF
or wrong here, but lies in the location of the email client server
compaired to the originating point of the message.
DST is NOT our native habits, and not all systems are coping with
the recent DST changes we suffered.

Erlio

If the controller card you intend to purchase has a BIOS and boot time
interrupt hooking, then you could conceivably use it to boot from an extra
hard drive as the "C:" drive. Many do in fact have this capability, but you
would have to consult the documentation for the controller itself. Now if
you want to boot an operating system other than DOS, you would have to
arrange for the device driver for the controller to be loaded at boot time.
That is also doable.

If you come up with controller information, that would give people more data
to work with. Now with a single IDE socket on your motherboard, installing
a PCI secondary IDE controller card seems a distinct possibility.

Erlio

"Hp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok got the info
>
> MSI K9MM-V Socket AM2 Motherboard is the subject motherboard,
> it only has a single IDE socket = 2 drives,
>
> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> Hp wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:13:07 -0500

>> Voluntary courtesy clock police report.

>> EDT = Eastern (US) daylight time = UTC offset -0400

>> Your newsserver stamped your message correctly at about 18:13 UTC. Your
>> computer's clock caused your Date stamp to be incorrect saying about
>> 19:13 UTC, a time currently in the future.

> The 'clock' problem you are noting is NOT something that is OFF
> or wrong here, but lies in the location of the email client server
> compaired to the originating point of the message.
> DST is NOT our native habits, and not all systems are coping with
> the recent DST changes we suffered.

chuckcar

Hp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am exploring information about using a PCI card to add extra
> hard drives to a PC that only has one IDE connector.
> if one used a plugin card, would the attached drives be usable
> before an operating system is added, like maybe optical
> drives?
> Could a hard drive plugged into the add on card be used as the
> "C" drive and bootable??
>
> thanks

No drive will be bootable unless you a) partition it b) format a
(primary) paritition on it and c) install an operating system on the
resulting drive letter. You can hook up 2 IDE or 4 EIDE drives per
cable, but of course you need the cable to have 3 or 5 connectors to do
it with.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

dadiOH

Hp wrote:

> Could a hard drive plugged into the add on card be used as the
> "C" drive and bootable??

Yes but you'd have to have and set a BIOS selection (boot SCSI) to do so.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...