Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Global.asax not being Published.

Global.asax not being Published.

Joe

Hello all!

I added a Global.asax to my application. I'm using the
Application_BeginRequest event. Everything works fine in my development
enviorment but when I publish the web site the Global.asax file doesn't get
published. If I manually copy it the event doesn't seem to get called.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
Joe

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The global.asax, in .NET 2.0, is compiled. Check your bin folder on the
server and see if it is published. If you used single assemblies, you will
easily find it. If not, you might have to examine the cryptic naming scheme
to actually find global.asax compiled bits.

If it is not compiling, that is an issue. If it is compiling but not firing,
that is another issue.

If you want to copy the site out there, you can. It will compile page by
page, into memory, rather than use precompile IL (ala publish).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

| Think outside the box!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all!
>
> I added a Global.asax to my application. I'm using the
> Application_BeginRequest event. Everything works fine in my development
> enviorment but when I publish the web site the Global.asax file doesn't
> get published. If I manually copy it the event doesn't seem to get called.
>
> Any idea what's going on here?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Joe

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your response. I did find the compiled file.

-Joe

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The global.asax, in .NET 2.0, is compiled. Check your bin folder on the
> server and see if it is published. If you used single assemblies, you will
> easily find it. If not, you might have to examine the cryptic naming
> scheme to actually find global.asax compiled bits.
>
> If it is not compiling, that is an issue. If it is compiling but not
> firing, that is another issue.
>
> If you want to copy the site out there, you can. It will compile page by
> page, into memory, rather than use precompile IL (ala publish).
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> Subscribe to my blog
> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
>
> or just read it:
> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

> | Think outside the box! |
> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I added a Global.asax to my application. I'm using the
>> Application_BeginRequest event. Everything works fine in my development
>> enviorment but when I publish the web site the Global.asax file doesn't
>> get published. If I manually copy it the event doesn't seem to get
>> called.
>>
>> Any idea what's going on here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Joe

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Joe,

Yes, in ASP.NET 2.0 it by default use a dynamic compilation model for pages
and components. For global.asax, this is not a file that will be directly
visited by client browser, but be accessed by ASP.NET runtime internally.
Thus, when you publish the webiste(perform precompilation), the global.asax
will be generated as a class in assmbly and the global.asax file is removed.

here are some other reference about ASP.NET precompilation and global.asax
in ASP.NET 2.0

#Precompilation In ASP.NET 2.0
http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/417.aspx

#Fixing the Global.asax in ASP.NET 2.0
http://rossnelson.blogspot.com/2005/...aspnet-20.html

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Global.asax not being Published.
>Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:00:18 -0400

>Hi Gregory,
>
>Thanks for your response. I did find the compiled file.
>
>-Joe
>
>"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The global.asax, in .NET 2.0, is compiled. Check your bin folder on the
>> server and see if it is published. If you used single assemblies, you

will
>> easily find it. If not, you might have to examine the cryptic naming
>> scheme to actually find global.asax compiled bits.
>>
>> If it is not compiling, that is an issue. If it is compiling but not
>> firing, that is another issue.
>>
>> If you want to copy the site out there, you can. It will compile page by
>> page, into memory, rather than use precompile IL (ala publish).
>>
>> --
>> Gregory A. Beamer
>> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>>
>> Subscribe to my blog
>> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
>>
>> or just read it:
>> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

>> | Think outside the box! |
>> "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello all!
>>>
>>> I added a Global.asax to my application. I'm using the
>>> Application_BeginRequest event. Everything works fine in my development
>>> enviorment but when I publish the web site the Global.asax file doesn't
>>> get published. If I manually copy it the event doesn't seem to get
>>> called.
>>>
>>> Any idea what's going on here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Joe

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Joe,

Do you have any further question on this?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).