Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?

Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?

maildrop999@yahoo.com

Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?

My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I
get the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations,
including
Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.

I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using
USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in
DOS mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used
the Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable
in
Card Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode
(Win 98 or XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.

Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand
cameras ?

The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB

Thanks

Frank Gatta

April 18, 2008

..

ray

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:15:44 -0700, maildrop999 wrote:

> Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?
>
> My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I get
> the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations, including
> Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.
>
> I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
> configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using a
> USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in DOS
> mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used the
> Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable in
> Card Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode (Win 98
> or XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.
>
> Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
> XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand cameras ?
>
> The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB
>

> Thanks
>

> Frank Gatta
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> April 18, 2008
>
> .

If you can't format it in the camera, it's most likely toast.

Dave Cohen

ray wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:15:44 -0700, maildrop999 wrote:
>
>> Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?
>>
>> My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I get
>> the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations, including
>> Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.
>>
>> I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
>> configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using a
>> USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in DOS
>> mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used the
>> Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable in
>> Card Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode (Win 98
>> or XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.
>>
>> Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
>> XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand cameras ?
>>
>> The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Frank Gatta
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> April 18, 2008
>>
>> .

> If you can't format it in the camera, it's most likely toast.

But if I'm understanding the op, they seem to be working in a card
reader. I don't understand the fat12 bit so right now I'm confused. At
the current price of cards and the small capacities quoted it may just
be time for a newer card although if the guy has a problem with 3 cards
I have my doubts if the problem really is the card. Maybe a friendly
camera shop will make sure a new card will format prior to purchase.
Dave Cohen

Blinky the Shark

Dave Cohen wrote:

> ray wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:15:44 -0700, maildrop999 wrote:
>>
>>> Any Software or Command to Format XD Card on a Computer ?
>>> ==============================================
>>>
>>> My XD cards got damaged. When inserted in Olympus brand camera, I get
>>> the error message - CARD ERROR. So, further operations, including
>>> Re-Formatting these damaged cards in the Camera is not possible.
>>>
>>> I understand that these cards are formatted in Fat-12 bits, the same
>>> configuration as is on Floppy disks. I tried to Re-format them, using
>>> a USB Card Reader on a computer, where USB port is activated even in
>>> DOS mode. The computer was booted from a Floppy disk and I used the
>>> Windows 98 Format command. The cards are readable / Writable in Card
>>> Readers (DOS Mode - Boot From Floppy) and Windows Mode (Win 98 or
>>> XP). But they are not readable by the Camera.
>>>
>>> Is there any Software or a Command Line, which can Re-Format these
>>> XD cards, so that they are readable by the Olympus brand cameras ?
>>>
>>> The cards sizes are: 16 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> Frank Gatta
>>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> April 18, 2008
>>>
>>> .

>> If you can't format it in the camera, it's most likely toast.

> But if I'm understanding the op, they seem to be working in a card reader.
> I don't understand the fat12 bit so right now I'm confused. At the current
> price of cards and the small capacities quoted it may just be time for a
> newer card although if the guy has a problem with 3 cards I have my doubts
> if the problem really is the card. Maybe a friendly camera shop will make
> sure a new card will format prior to purchase. Dave Cohen

Here's some more confusion: I think fat-12 is only capable of addressing
16MB.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups