Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > css style sheets not working

css style sheets not working

Jerry C

I have a machine running IIS 6.0. I just replaced the web.config and several
aspx pages in the application and now the style sheets are not working. the
images from the themes work but not the css files.

Any help.

--
Jerry

Stan

On 17 Apr, 23:40, Jerry C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a machine running IIS 6.0. I just replaced the web.config and several
> aspx pages in the application and now the style sheets are not working. the
> images from the themes work but not the css files.
>
> Any help.
>
> --
> Jerry

Make sure that any css files are in the App_Themes/<theme name> folder.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

As for the ASP.NET application, how did you originally reference those css
style sheets? Are you using the Theme feature to bind the stylesheets(put
them in Theme folder and let them be linked automatically)?

By default, style sheets under Theme folder will be linked into page(that
has applied the certain Theme) automatically. To verify this, you can
visit the certain page(that doesn show style corrrectly) and open its html
source in client browser to see whether the style sheet link is displayed
in the client source.

Also, have you checked the aspx page template to see whether there is any
difference between the original one?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgQw==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: css style sheets not working
>Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:40:01 -0700
>
>I have a machine running IIS 6.0. I just replaced the web.config and

several
>aspx pages in the application and now the style sheets are not working.

the
>images from the themes work but not the css files.
>
>Any help.
>
>--
>Jerry

Jerry C

Thank you for the replys.

The web.config file had two entries like:
<location path="styles.css">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>
On the development machine it worked OK but when I droped this web.config
file on another server it did not. It did not like duplicate location path
entries for the same file. Also FYI if the same css file is in the main
directory and in the App_Themes/theme directory it causes problems.

Thank you for your help.
--
Jerry

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> As for the ASP.NET application, how did you originally reference those css
> style sheets? Are you using the Theme feature to bind the stylesheets(put
> them in Theme folder and let them be linked automatically)?
>
> By default, style sheets under Theme folder will be linked into page(that
> has applied the certain Theme) automatically. To verify this, you can
> visit the certain page(that doesn show style corrrectly) and open its html
> source in client browser to see whether the style sheet link is displayed
> in the client source.
>
> Also, have you checked the aspx page template to see whether there is any
> difference between the original one?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> ications.

> --------------------
> >From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgQw==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >Subject: css style sheets not working
> >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:40:01 -0700
> >
> >I have a machine running IIS 6.0. I just replaced the web.config and

> several
> >aspx pages in the application and now the style sheets are not working.

> the
> >images from the themes work but not the css files.
> >
> >Any help.
> >
> >--
> >Jerry

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Jerry,

Yes, the further information you provided is very important. That remind me
of the potentitial cause from forms authentication protection on pages or
resource in the application.

So you're using Forms authentication, and by default deny user="?",
correct? Is the application hosted in IIS on both machine? Normally asp.net
forms authenticaction won't affect those static files(such as css ,
jscript...) because only those ASP.NET documents(aspx, ascx ..) will be
forwarded to ASP.NET runtime for processing. However, you can check on the
server to see whether the IIS extention mapping has bee changed that those
static files will also be processed by ASP.NET runtime.

For testing , you can also first turn off forms authentication protection
on all page(set allow users="*") to see whether the style sheet can be
accessed correctly. Also, since those Theme files are for displaying
only, I suggest you consider add a rule (through <location> ) to allow all
users access for the Theme folder. e.g.

<location path="App_Themes">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

If you have any other findings, welcome to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

ications.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgQw==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: RE: css style sheets not working
>Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:28:01 -0700

>Thank you for the replys.
>
>The web.config file had two entries like:
> <location path="styles.css">
> <system.web>
> <authorization>
> <allow users="*"/>
> </authorization>
> </system.web>
> </location>
>On the development machine it worked OK but when I droped this web.config
>file on another server it did not. It did not like duplicate location path
>entries for the same file. Also FYI if the same css file is in the main
>directory and in the App_Themes/theme directory it causes problems.
>
>Thank you for your help.
>--
>Jerry
>

>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jerry,
>>
>> As for the ASP.NET application, how did you originally reference those

css
>> style sheets? Are you using the Theme feature to bind the

stylesheets(put
>> them in Theme folder and let them be linked automatically)?
>>
>> By default, style sheets under Theme folder will be linked into

page(that
>> has applied the certain Theme) automatically. To verify this, you can
>> visit the certain page(that doesn show style corrrectly) and open its

html
>> source in client browser to see whether the style sheet link is

displayed
>> in the client source.
>>
>> Also, have you checked the aspx page template to see whether there is

any
>> difference between the original one?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

and

Please
>> (E-Mail Removed).

>> ications.

rights.

>> --------------------
>> >From: =?Utf-8?B?SmVycnkgQw==?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> >Subject: css style sheets not working
>> >Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:40:01 -0700
>> >
>> >I have a machine running IIS 6.0. I just replaced the web.config and

>> several
>> >aspx pages in the application and now the style sheets are not working.

>> the
>> >images from the themes work but not the css files.
>> >
>> >Any help.
>> >
>> >--
>> >Jerry

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

Have you got any progress on this issue? If there is anything else we can
help, welcome to post here.

CSS sheets not working tshad ASP .Net 6 09-22-2009 07:58 PM
how do I get the style sheets (or style object) of the wholedocument? Jake Barnes Javascript 6 04-12-2009 08:15 AM
Style sheets, include one style within another (not inheritance) foldface@yahoo.co.uk HTML 1 11-24-2003 01:37 PM
export to Excel - multiple sheets & renaming sheets Carl Corcoran ASP General 1 11-12-2003 07:28 PM
CSS Style Sheets PJ ASP .Net 1 08-22-2003 12:45 PM

Advertisments