Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Which is more secure setting ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Which is more secure setting ?

 
 
Johnnyboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to which
is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and WPA2


Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I set
mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES

If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
WPA2 is more secure. TRIP and AES are two methods that can be used by the
802.11i standard and combines two techniques. I beleive AES is
a higher level of security compared to the more widely deployed TKIP
encryption. This search result may help.



Wireless Security OptionsWireless Security Options. When setup wireless
security, you may have many options. The below lists the wireless from the
weakest to the strongest ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/wirel...ityoptions.htm



--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
"Johnnyboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
> which
> is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
> WPA2
>
>
> Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
> set
> mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
>
> If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
>
> Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Johnnyboy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
Thanks . I appreciated .

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> WPA2 is more secure. TRIP and AES are two methods that can be used by the
> 802.11i standard and combines two techniques. I beleive AES is
> a higher level of security compared to the more widely deployed TKIP
> encryption. This search result may help.
>
>
>
> Wireless Security OptionsWireless Security Options. When setup wireless
> security, you may have many options. The below lists the wireless from the
> weakest to the strongest ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/wirel...ityoptions.htm
>
>
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Johnnyboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
> > which
> > is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
> > WPA2
> >
> >
> > Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
> > set
> > mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
> >
> > If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
> >
> > Thanks

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
Hi
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
your Wireless hardware.
All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
phrase.
Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
of one of the Wireless devices.
I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
device with a better one.
Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Johnnyboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
> which
> is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
> WPA2
>
>
> Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
> set
> mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
>
> If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
>
> Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2008

I wonder how many times you've used this template (or copy/paste)


"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
> your Wireless hardware.
> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
> of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
> the device with a better one.
> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Johnnyboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
>> which
>> is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
>> WPA2
>>
>>
>> Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
>> set
>> mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
>>
>> If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
>>
>> Thanks

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
James Egan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2008

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:04:09 -0700, "John" <a> wrote:

>I wonder how many times you've used this template (or copy/paste)
>


Old habits are hard to break. Or is that brake?...lol


Jim.

 
Reply With Quote
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2008
Seen this "dozen" of times and the wireless (WiFi) security has not have any
newel security level yet!

Unfortunately, spelling still has problems.

On 17/04/2008 "John" <a> wrote:
>I wonder how many times you've used this template (or copy/paste)
>
>
>"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
>> No Security
>> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
>> WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
>> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
>> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
>> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
>> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
>> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
>> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
>> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
>> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
>> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
>> your Wireless hardware.
>> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
>> phrase.
>> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best
>> possible of one of the Wireless devices.
>> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
>> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max .
>> of WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
>> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that
>> can do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace
>> the device with a better one.
>> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Johnnyboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi ... I am using a Linksys router and I am curious for wireless as to
>>> which
>>> is a more secure setting . Here are the options I see >> WEP , WPA and
>>> WPA2
>>>
>>>
>>> Also if anyone could explain what this setting is for and were should I
>>> set
>>> mine at >> WPA Alogorithms >>> TKIP or AES
>>>
>>> If it matter I am using xp pro sp2 with cable net connection
>>>
>>> Thanks

>>

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secure your digital information assets with Secure Auditor. SecureWindows with Secure Auditor alannis.albert@googlemail.com Cisco 0 04-14-2008 06:53 AM
Secure your digital information assets with Secure Auditor SecureWindows with Secure Auditor alannis.albert@googlemail.com Cisco 0 04-14-2008 06:52 AM
Which Is More Secure??? blah Computer Security 1 01-05-2007 06:34 PM
Windows 2000 Pro vs. Windows Xp Pro - Which is more Secure? Rob Computer Security 27 01-30-2005 10:23 AM



Advertisments