Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What Happened??

What Happened??

Steve Meyerson

It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.

Wha happen?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Steve Meyerson wrote:

> It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
> spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.
>
> Wha happen?

Google Groups happened.

You want no spam? Filter out Google Groups. Since your news client is
incapable of filtering on the Message-ID header, see this for some tips:

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

In 40tude Dialog, it is a simple matter of adding this to the score
file:
[*]
!markread Message-ID googlegroups.com

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

Steve Meyerson

Thanks for your response. I downloaded Hampster Playground from the
URL you posted, glanced at its .chm file, but it looks a bit much for
my "single" computer and probably my tech savvy.

Not sure what 40tude Dialog is. No hit from Google.

Steve

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:20:12 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve Meyerson wrote:
>
>> It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
>> spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.
>>
>> Wha happen?

>Google Groups happened.
>
>You want no spam? Filter out Google Groups. Since your news client is
>incapable of filtering on the Message-ID header, see this for some tips:
>
>http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html
>
>In 40tude Dialog, it is a simple matter of adding this to the score
>file:
>
>[*]
>!markread Message-ID googlegroups.com

Steve Meyerson

Also tried the newsgp filter on my Agent newsreader. Gave me a message
telling me it filtered the news group, but no other info. I have no
idea what it really did, if anything.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve Meyerson wrote:
>
>> It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
>> spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.
>>
>> Wha happen?

>Google Groups happened.
>
>You want no spam? Filter out Google Groups. Since your news client is
>incapable of filtering on the Message-ID header, see this for some tips:
>
>http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html
>
>In 40tude Dialog, it is a simple matter of adding this to the score
>file:
>
>[*]
>!markread Message-ID googlegroups.com

Steven

The amount of spam has gone insane on here , after I added google servers to
the block list they still somehow get in, I guess that's the crappyness of
outlook express as a newsgroup reader.im tempted to just quit coming here
all together.

Steve

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Steve Meyerson wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I downloaded Hampster Playground from the
> URL you posted, glanced at its .chm file, but it looks a bit much for
> my "single" computer and probably my tech savvy.

I don't use (or need) that so someone else will need to answer.

> Not sure what 40tude Dialog is. No hit from Google.

Huh?

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=40tude+dialog&btnG=Google+Search>
"Results 1 - 10 of about 51,400 for 40tude dialog"

The homepage: http://40tude.com/dialog/
A good FAQ: http://dialog.datalist.org/

Please don't top-post. Thanks for your consideration.

--

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Steve Meyerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
>spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.
>
>Wha happen?

Good chance your Mom might be sending them.

It's a combo of a large botnet, and the Gmail captcha being
cracked/hacked
--

May contain...
http://www.mofaha.com/b3ta/tracesofpeanuts.jpg

Whiskers

On 2008-04-17, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steve Meyerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
>>spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.
>>
>>Wha happen?

> Good chance your Mom might be sending them.
>
> It's a combo of a large botnet, and the Gmail captcha being
> cracked/hacked

I suspect the 'captcha' thing has not been cracked or hacked; rather that
time-rich humans with access to internet cafés or school networks or
public libraries (or even the spammers own set-up) can be induced at small
expense to sit there for an hour or so at a time creating (jointly and
cumulatively) as many new Google/Yahoo/whatever accounts as anyone could
want to put on a list and flog to the highest bidder. (If you've normally
got less than a dollar a day to live on, then even an extra penny makes a
significant difference - and sitting down indoors bashing a keyboard is
much easier work than most).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Blinky the Shark

Steve Meyerson wrote:

> Thanks for your response. I downloaded Hampster Playground from the URL
> you posted, glanced at its .chm file, but it looks a bit much for my
> "single" computer and probably my tech savvy.
>
> Not sure what 40tude Dialog is. No hit from Google.

A news client that doesn't require a helper application like Hamster to do
its filtering; it easily does it itself. Unlike Agent.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 2008-04-17, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Steve Meyerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>It's been a few weeks since I visited this very useful newsgroup. The
>>>spam rate jumped from about 10 percent to what seems like 98 percent.
>>>
>>>Wha happen?

>> Good chance your Mom might be sending them.
>>
>> It's a combo of a large botnet, and the Gmail captcha being
>> cracked/hacked

>I suspect the 'captcha' thing has not been cracked or hacked;

Gmail CAPTCHA Cracked
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...45242&from=rss

>rather that
>time-rich humans with access to internet cafés or school networks or
>public libraries (or even the spammers own set-up) can be induced at small
>expense to sit there for an hour or so at a time creating (jointly and
>cumulatively) as many new Google/Yahoo/whatever accounts as anyone could
>want to put on a list and flog to the highest bidder. (If you've normally
>got less than a dollar a day to live on, then even an extra penny makes a
>significant difference - and sitting down indoors bashing a keyboard is
>much easier work than most).

I could see that just as well.