Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PC terminal

PC terminal

Webgirl Wendy

Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

Will this method also work with digital cameras that do not have pc
terminals built into the body?

Jürgen Exner

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Webgirl Wendy) wrote:
>Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
>does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
>camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

jue

Blinky the Shark

Jürgen Exner wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Webgirl Wendy) wrote:
>>Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
>>does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
>>camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
socket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Jürgen Exner

Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Jürgen Exner wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Webgirl Wendy) wrote:
>>>Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
>>>does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
>>>camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.

>> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
>socket.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
computer.

jue

Roy G

"Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Jürgen Exner wrote:

>>> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

>>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
>>socket.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

> Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
> 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
> computer.
>
> jue

Hi.

Mr Gates and IBM should have known that "PC" had already been in use for
many years to describe a co-axial socket for Flash Guns.

They should have used another abreviation.

Roy G

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Webgirl
Wendy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Several years ago I purchased a Nikon 8008s film camera. As this model
> does not have a built in pc terminal I attached a pc connector to the
> camera's hotshoe and it worked fine.
>
> Will this method also work with digital cameras that do not have pc
> terminals built into the body?

if the camera has a hotshoe it will work fine. the only issue is the
trigger voltage of the flash. if the trigger voltage is higher than
what the camera can handle, you might damage the camera.

here's a list of trigger voltages, but some flashes vary so it's best
to test the one you are using.
<http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>

or, to be perfectly safe, get a wein safe sync for your hotshoe.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Apr 17, 5:18 am, "Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Jürgen Exner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
> >>socket.

> >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

> > Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
> > 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
> > computer.

> > jue

> Hi.
>
> Mr Gates and IBM should have known that "PC" had already been in use for
> many years to describe a co-axial socket for Flash Guns.
>
> They should have used another abreviation.
>
> Roy G

So should the folks who coined the expression "politically correct."

Webgirl Wendy

I was asked which camera I was considing...it is the new Canon XSI.

Blinky the Shark

Jürgen Exner wrote:

> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Jürgen Exner wrote:

>>> What is a pc terminal and what is a pc connector?

>>Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
>>socket.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

> Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
> 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
> computer.

Context is king.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

David J Taylor

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Jürgen Exner wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Look at the first two images here. And the connector fits into that
>>> socket.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization

>> Thanks. The curse of abbreviations. Now I can see that PC is a
>> 'standardised coaxial PC (for Prontor/Compur)' and not a personal
>> computer.

> Context is king.

PC = Phrase Context? <G>

David